Author Topic: Protel Pay Phone  (Read 19843 times)

Offline Randie

Re: Protel Pay Phone
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2017, 03:27:00 PM »
Hi Jim,

I used your call in number a few years ago to program my Protel Ascent phone.  It worked fine until recently when the ni-cad batteries went dead.  I replaced them and reset the phone to it's defaults.  I called your number for programming, but didn't hear what I remember as the modem negotiation sounds.  Just kind of a single tone.  I tried it through the pay phone and it was not successful at negotiating a connection.  Is your programming for 555-555-5555 still in place and usable?

Thanks!

Randie

Offline Payphone installer

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2017, 08:02:51 AM »
I will try and remember to check it on Monday,are you using a standard line it will probably not work on a VoIP line.

Offline Randie

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2017, 06:45:31 PM »
Soon after my wife signed up for VOIP phone service (through Pioneer Telephone in Maine), my Protel Ascent payphone stopped working.  The batteries were dead, so I replaced them with a new set.  I couldn't program the phone by dialing up Jim's Expressnet, but I was able to get it working again with some manual programming.  But just a few weeks later, the new batteries were dead and the programming was lost again. :(   I don't think I have the discipline to keep swapping out batteries every few weeks.

So I've a few questions for anyone kind enough to answer:

1)  Do the batteries get charged only when the phone is off the hook, or does it charge all the time from the line?
2)  Is there something about a VOIP connection & device that would prevent batteries from charging?  Maybe not enough current on the line?  Is there a way to measure the voltage and current to see if it's sufficient?
3)  Is there a way to hook up a battery charger to the battery pack while it's connected to the phone?  It would be ideal if I could just power the phone via a transformer cube and have the battery pack just there for power outages (assuming it would also charge from the transformer).

Any advice, from anyone would be helpful!  Thanks

Randie.

Offline trainman

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2017, 07:31:31 PM »
They are charged only when phone is offhook.

Www.payphone.com has an external battery charger if you want to get it, and a second battery to keep a fully charged spare.

Or you can use the payphone more often. But i dont use mine all that much, and never had a battery issue. I also have a traditional landline, so I cant say if the VOIP has an issue with charging it.

Offline Payphone411

• Payphone411
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »
*#68 will tell your phone to charge the battery. If you have a security code you will have to enter that after you enter *#68
*#67 will let you know if your battery has a good charge. 1 beep for good 2 for marginal.

Offline tallrick

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2017, 12:24:10 PM »
My phones could go weeks without the batteries losing charge,. The problem I had was that corrosion developed on the connector where the battery meets the board and drained the battery. My system uses VOIP but the phones are connected to a channel bank and got charged fairly regularly. On the one phone I rigged a solar panel with charger that kept the enclosure light and fed back to the Protel battery. Simple LM series 5 volt regulator and comparator to prevent overcharging. Using a MagicJack,  will keep the Protel phones charged for a while but once the battery goes down too much it cannot recharge . The Sipura boxes seem to work as does the  Asterisk FXS interfaces. Ooma seems to also work but I never tried Vonage.