Author Topic: Protel Pay Phone  (Read 18197 times)

Offline Randie

Re: Protel Pay Phone
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2017, 03:27:00 PM »
Hi Jim,

I used your call in number a few years ago to program my Protel Ascent phone.  It worked fine until recently when the ni-cad batteries went dead.  I replaced them and reset the phone to it's defaults.  I called your number for programming, but didn't hear what I remember as the modem negotiation sounds.  Just kind of a single tone.  I tried it through the pay phone and it was not successful at negotiating a connection.  Is your programming for 555-555-5555 still in place and usable?

Offline Payphone installer

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2017, 08:02:51 AM »
I will try and remember to check it on Monday,are you using a standard line it will probably not work on a VoIP line.

Offline Randie

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2017, 06:45:31 PM »
Soon after my wife signed up for VOIP phone service (through Pioneer Telephone in Maine), my Protel Ascent payphone stopped working.  The batteries were dead, so I replaced them with a new set.  I couldn't program the phone by dialing up Jim's Expressnet, but I was able to get it working again with some manual programming.  But just a few weeks later, the new batteries were dead and the programming was lost again. :(   I don't think I have the discipline to keep swapping out batteries every few weeks.

So I've a few questions for anyone kind enough to answer:

1)  Do the batteries get charged only when the phone is off the hook, or does it charge all the time from the line?
2)  Is there something about a VOIP connection & device that would prevent batteries from charging?  Maybe not enough current on the line?  Is there a way to measure the voltage and current to see if it's sufficient?
3)  Is there a way to hook up a battery charger to the battery pack while it's connected to the phone?  It would be ideal if I could just power the phone via a transformer cube and have the battery pack just there for power outages (assuming it would also charge from the transformer).

Any advice, from anyone would be helpful!  Thanks

Offline trainman

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2017, 07:31:31 PM »
They are charged only when phone is offhook. has an external battery charger if you want to get it, and a second battery to keep a fully charged spare.

Or you can use the payphone more often. But i dont use mine all that much, and never had a battery issue. I also have a traditional landline, so I cant say if the VOIP has an issue with charging it.

Offline Payphone411

• Payphone411
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »
*#68 will tell your phone to charge the battery. If you have a security code you will have to enter that after you enter *#68
*#67 will let you know if your battery has a good charge. 1 beep for good 2 for marginal.

Offline tallrick

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2017, 12:24:10 PM »
My phones could go weeks without the batteries losing charge,. The problem I had was that corrosion developed on the connector where the battery meets the board and drained the battery. My system uses VOIP but the phones are connected to a channel bank and got charged fairly regularly. On the one phone I rigged a solar panel with charger that kept the enclosure light and fed back to the Protel battery. Simple LM series 5 volt regulator and comparator to prevent overcharging. Using a MagicJack,  will keep the Protel phones charged for a while but once the battery goes down too much it cannot recharge . The Sipura boxes seem to work as does the  Asterisk FXS interfaces. Ooma seems to also work but I never tried Vonage.