Author Topic: Kellogg switchboard handset questions...and just to share  (Read 176 times)

Offline RB

Kellogg switchboard handset questions...and just to share
« on: September 27, 2017, 09:00:40 AM »
I found this handset on ebay.
I have not seen a hook assy like this, and could you tell me what it went to?
and how it was used.

unbeldi

Re: Kellogg switchboard handset questions...and just to share
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 09:35:31 AM »
It looks like one of the Type 12C Grabaphone extension sets.  It looks like the coil in the box is an induction coil, not just a retardation coil.  Does it have any type number stamped on it ?  Perhaps type 79 ?

Try reading some type designations off the parts.

PS: these handset also came with several differnet transmitter and receiver elements; you might find designations on those parts too to identify whether this was a common battery or local battery instrument.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:53:06 AM by unbeldi »

Offline RB

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 11:39:44 AM »
Thank you Unbeldi !
I will look closer this evening.
This thing is in great shape, cant wait to see what I can do with it!

Offline RB

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 12:31:33 PM »
I looked closer at the coil, and handset.
the coil has S and P i believe on each end. one is hard to read.
The ends are tied together on the switch end, and separate on the other end. I found no other info stamped on it.
The coil reads 5 ohms on the transmitter side, and about 56 ohms, i believe across the other.
The receiver reads about 460 ohms, and the xmitter floats all over when reading it.
The contact points, are labeled
B
B
S

The second B and the 1 are tied together, and I believe the 3 and 4 are tied also.
The hook switch, is a regular 3 conductor, progressive switch. so, 1 and 2 close first, then 3 is added.
Thats all I know about it so far.
Question: can the transmitter cover be removed for cleaning?
there are 4 hex head bolts around the outside of the cover, and 4 flat head screws on the back side.
I have hurd some transmitters loose the carbon if opened, I know nothing about this, and do not want to destroy it.