News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anyone into old lanterns? ( The Grand Finale, Really)

Started by TelePlay, October 14, 2017, 09:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Some time ago I started my very first lantern, a Dietz No 2 D-Lite and after somewhere around 18 more lanterns, I finished this one, another Dietz No 2 D-Lite. As such, I feel like I've come full circle, I think tomorrow will be February 3rd, finally, I hope.

While quite rusty and cheap, $10.50 plus $8.72 shipping. the only thing missing was an $8 globe and a new $0.75 wick to make it whole.

Other than the slight pitting and lack of a full patina due to the rust, this lantern turned out very nicely. It's a solid lantern with only two minor dents, one in the middle of the outer chimney and one on the tank bottom rim (a real common thing on many lanterns). As such, my last lantern turned out to be one of the best, not the shiniest or rarest, but a really nice lantern.

The lantern was made by Dietz in Syracuse New York in April of 1936. Put back into service on October 14th, 2017, 81 years old and good as new.

This really is my last lantern. Restoring these was getting boring and I was really starting to dislike the smell of kerosene mixed with molasses. It's fun putting a newly restored lantern back into service but getting there from rust and bugs and crud to final assembly has become a chore and I really don't look forward to doing another so this really is my last lantern.

twocvbloke

Doesn't the old saying go "Going out with a bang"? You could get a cheap chinese lantern and run an inappropriate fuel in it (at a distance of course!) and see what happens to it to end your lantern escapades...  ;D