News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Original Paint Recovery

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, October 22, 2017, 09:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I've realized that Acetone will remove layers of later, non-original paint on metal WE phones, and won't damage the original finish in any way. Unbeldi did this in the past with his 1939 Ivory 302...

www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13982

...but I realized that this also applies to any original WE paint used on phones from at least 1937 to 1947. I've done this to two 1937 302s and a 1947 G1 handset mount, every treatment leaving the original paint completely undamaged. I haven't tested on any phone younger or older, but it seems like any phone within this 10-year window is safe for this process, which means it should work on any metal 302.

Simply use a paper towel soaked in Acetone to buff off newer, ugly coats of paint. Just make sure not to get any stray Acetone on the base plate or date stamps, as well as any plastics or rubber/neoprene!

On one 302, I actually blasted through two refurb shop repaints, exposing the original paint. The Acetone didn't even dull or melt the paint--the original sandpaper scratches from prepping before repaint are clearly visible all over the housing.

I'm just letting everyone know that this is a great alternative to leaving a bad repaint on your phone, when there's most likely a great original finish underneath.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

And then what do you do?

I'd assume it was painted because the original paint was in poor condition - same color paint used. So you just leave the original paint as is?

Sargeguy

I have used Citru-Strip in a similar fashion.  Some phones were repainted wholesale without regard to condition and that second coat is usually poorer quality.  Even with some missing paint you can mask off the original paint and do touch ups.  I usually bake it afterwards then polish the new paint to match the old.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on October 22, 2017, 11:24:16 PM
And then what do you do?

I'd assume it was painted because the original paint was in poor condition - same color paint used. So you just leave the original paint as is?

Yep, pretty much leave it as-is. The paint can look a little dry after stripping, so I use some auto wax to make it look a little more "finished".

Sometimes, a little wear around the cradle ears is all it takes for someone to decide it needs new paint.

My G1 Spacesaver was spray painted in an ugly flat black at one point without any prep work done at all. A dial mount had been added in 1960 or so, and there was no trace of that spray paint on the dial or mount, which tells me the phone was repainted sometime in the '50s. That spray paint kept the original paint protected ever since, only being exposed to wear for about a decade. The only indication that I can see where it needed to be repainted is a few wear marks on one bottom corner of the shell.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sargeguy

Yes I think new paint was used to "freshen" them up before reissue.  The finish was not baked on because the phone was already assembled so the re-spray eventually looked pretty crappy.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409