Author Topic: Phew! I'm Relieved  (Read 158 times)

Offline Ed Morris

• Edsantiqueradios.com
Phew! I'm Relieved
« on: November 16, 2017, 07:33:47 PM »
I finally had to call Verizon due to so much noise on our copper line that it was impossible to have a phone conversation.  I was promptly told that my line would be replaced with a fiber optic line.

Fearing the worst, I searched for FIOS on CRPF and found that the fiber optic wasn't the end of the world!  So today, Verizon removed my old NIB and installed a ONT, power supply, and gave me a backup battery holder and a dozen D cells.

I'm happy to report the only problem was finding the the buried vault in the woods that serves my house.  It was buried under about a foot of leaves and dirt.  They had to call someone with a locater to find it.  After that, it all went well.  All my rotary phones ring and dial out!

The techs who came out got a kick out of all my old phones, and they even tried to find a key to open the upper housing on my payphone.  No luck, though.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 07:37:06 PM by Ed Morris »
Ed

Offline AE_Collector

• Global Moderator
  • AE 2 - AECo's 1st Self Contained Desk Phone 1925
Re: Phew! I'm Relieved
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 09:13:09 PM »
You should have told them that you have your own battery backup and hauled out a glass battery jar!

The backup units they use here have 12 volt gel cells like alarm backup batteries. Haven’t heard of one that uses a pile of D cells as they wouldn’t be rechargeable would they? Is it your job to replace them if needed?

Terry

Offline Ed Morris

• Edsantiqueradios.com
Re: Phew! I'm Relieved
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 10:57:33 PM »
I suspect it's my responsibility to replace the D cells.  The tech said that the original backup batteries, that look like a lead acid type, only lasted about 8 hours before needing a recharge.  He said the D cells are good for about 36 hours.  We are fortunate to live in an area that seldom looses power, and when we do, it is usually back on in a few hours.
Ed