Author Topic: Northern Electric Centurion Semi-Postpay Question  (Read 286 times)

Offline compubit

Northern Electric Centurion Semi-Postpay Question
« on: December 30, 2017, 10:57:28 PM »
Playing with my QSD401A phone (semi-postpay), I have a quick question about operations:

As I understand it, line polarity was normal when initially dialing, but when the call was completed to a normal local call (i.e., not 911, 411, 0, Repair, etc.), line polarity reversed.  Once the appropriated amount (determined by the jumper board inside the phone), did the phone send a signal to the CO to re-reverse the line, or was the internal board supposed to handle that automatically (i.e., no signalling to the CO)?

Also, how would an operator know how much was deposited - I hear some beeping when coins are deposited - is there some specific frequency that the phone sends?  If anyone has some pay-phone references, I'd appreciate it.

I'm waiting for my ATA to arrive (tomorrow) so that I can setup the polarity change upon call completion, but wanted to see if anyone had any familiarity with these phones (in advance).

Thanks!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Offline Duffy

Re: Northern Electric Centurion Semi-Postpay Question
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 11:44:02 PM »
Jim,

I hope this helps you. It's a installation manual.
CDN Doug

Offline Payphone installer

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 05:17:48 PM »
Post a pic of the inside of the lower housing if you can.

Offline AE_Collector

• Global Moderator
  • AE 2 - AECo's 1st Self Contained Desk Phone 1925
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 05:59:44 PM »
The beeps when coins are deposited were for the operator on LD calls. One beep for 5c, 2 beeps for 10c and ďaboutĒ 5 beeps for a 25c coin. The manuals I read would have been for AE payphones and made a point that ďaboutĒ 5 beeps indicated a 25c coin and if only 4 beeps that didnít mean only 20c had been deposited.

I canít recall what the standard was now to allow the local call to be made once the initial deposit was correct. Might have been a splash of ground back to the CO rather than battery reversal.

Terry

Offline compubit

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 09:41:39 PM »
I'm out of town right now, but will post when I get back.

Thanks,
Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!