Author Topic: My Protel Pay Phone with issues  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Sigmaz

• -Jon
Re: My Protel Pay Phone with issues
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 03:11:32 PM »
YEAY!!!!

I got it to take a download!!

just on a whim I hit the *#2 command as If I was switching the chassis out.. sure enough it took the Download without complaint!

That's big news for today. I'm so excited!
Of course the phone number and rates and options will be fixed but for now this is a huge deal since I've been hacking at this unit for a couple of weeks.

(Oh, and nevermind the flags, This test was done with a spare chassis laying on the bench)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:37:45 AM by Sigmaz »

Offline protel8000

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 11:16:07 AM »
What modem did you end up using for your setup?

I have ExpressNet installed on Windows 98SE, and was trying to use a Zoom 3049 serial port modem. ExpressNet sees the modem and will answer a call, but after the initial "negotiation" when it seems like it should be sending data it just hangs up. Do you have to use a special init string?

Thanks for any insight you have! I'd love to get this working with my 8000 board phone.

Offline Sigmaz

• -Jon
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2018, 12:33:21 PM »
Ahh here you are..

I first need to recommend that you attempt programing on a real phone line.
That being said, I did get mine to talk on a GV trunk through an SPA1001.

One thing you'll see is that the modem will connect and then the s/w will time out.
This is because there is a lot of error correction going on between the modem and the phone. one thing you can do is watch the modem screen and the physical modem.
once the connection is made the timer will drop 3 times on the third rundown hit the pause button on the keyboard, this will freeze the timer.
watch the modem for activity. when the TX and RX lights burst simultaneously that's an indication that the phone sent its ID string.
This is cached in the modems buffer and if you hit the pause key and release the timer it should show up on the log screen and resume where it left off.
If you get a security code invalid or mismatch error, have the phone call in for programming with *#02 instead of *#03.

This has always worked for me on phones that were removed from service and are being reprogrammed with new info.

I don't think the old security code is deleted when you reinitialize the chassis but *#02 gets around this and the new one is programmed in from the site files.

If you have more questions feel free to PM or simply ask.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:37:32 PM by Sigmaz »

Offline protel8000

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2018, 01:10:16 PM »
I am using Google Voice, and my "home" phone line is powered by an Obi 200 adapter (this is where the payphone is connected).

I also have an old Obi 110 adapter that I have hooked up for my modem. Lots of VOIP/Compression, not ideal...

But the way I'm trying to make this work, is I actually set a speed dial on my "home" phone obi so that by dialing 2, it rings my Obi110 adapter. This all goes over the Obitalk network (since the Obi110 isn't actually linked to any voice providers).

I may need to break down and just buy a phone line simulator to take the VoIP out of the picture.

But I did make progress with the Pause button. After pausing during the connection, when it decided to resume the XNET terminal it actually showed my incoming site phone number that is programmed into the phone, so there is *some* communication going on at least. However now I am having trouble with getting XNET to "Unpause" so it's frozen up completely.

Offline Sigmaz

• -Jon
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2018, 01:19:31 PM »
Maybe if you strike the enter key it'll unpause.. some machines don't release as in "unpause" when the pause button is hit again.. perhaps because the interrupt is ..umm... IDK paused? lol

If you are only going from ATA to ATA you may have some success because you're not making the trip out into an offsite server and then back.

Also I have confirmed that you must run this on the actual machine and not in a VM or otherwise virtualized environment.
The hypervisor totally messes with the timers in the software.

There has been developed an image that can be burned to a USB stick or SD card that would allow you to boot your regular machine into DOS6.22 with ExpressNet.
This eliminates the need to load a bare bones machine to perform these operations.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:32:58 PM by Sigmaz »

Offline Sigmaz

• -Jon
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 01:24:24 PM »
I built a simple simulator using a 9V battery and a couple of jelly bean parts.. the problem with that is that you can't force the modem to answer without ring current..

You could build one with a SLIC in it but if you start down that rabbit hole you'd be just as bad as me.

Offline protel8000

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 01:35:39 PM »
Haha yeah, I'm not sure if I'm ready to jump into the rabbit hole yet! maybe just one foot first...

What part of the timer should I be looking for the drops? I think I may just have my timing off as to when I'm pausing. It seems to be resuming now, may have just been a hiccup with the virtual machine.

Offline Sigmaz

• -Jon
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2018, 01:42:07 PM »
HAH!
I was just posting something about this and my browser crashed.

Mistake 5: You can't use ExpressNet in a VM.. The hypervisor totally freaks out the timing.

This should help you out a little..

Note: the image will partition your device to ~30MB that's all. The remaining space will be inaccessible to the OS.
So i recommend that you only use a smaller stick or card for the project..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WOrBpDpGfahQN3zpFV1NKHSscMhxww0t
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:56:39 PM by Sigmaz »

Offline protel8000

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2018, 01:47:52 PM »
Oh wow! Maybe down the road I'll build the ultimate 486 Payphone Server lol.

I just downloaded the image, thanks for sharing! I have a few extra USB sticks that I can try it out on. Thanks again! I'll post back later on how it's going.

Offline Sigmaz

• -Jon
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2018, 01:49:37 PM »
Also, MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE CORRECT TARGET WHEN WRITING THE IMAGE!!
The Win32DiskImager has no problem writing to your local drives.. make sure you select the USB or SD card before you click write.

Offline protel8000

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2018, 02:04:08 PM »
Good to know! I was able to make it boot via USB for my ThinkPad.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to find a machine with a native serial port, or get an adapter to expose my ThinkPad's hardware serial port. I've been using a USB to Serial adapter, which Windows can see but obviously DOS can't.

I think my desktop computer has on-board serial but I'd need to get a port to plug into the pins on the motherboard to expose it.

Or another option may be to just find a late 90's era laptop and make it a dedicated payphone controller.

I'll give everyone an update once I decide which route I'm going to do!

The more options I think of, the more money I think of needing to spend  :o ;D

Offline Sigmaz

• -Jon
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2018, 02:24:15 PM »
I'm looking forward to reading about your progress.

Yeah, serial ports are just one more of those useful peripherals that seem to be disappearing with every tick of the clock.

Offline protel8000

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2018, 08:51:02 PM »
I've ordered a serial port bracket with header connections to connect to my desktop's motherboard, and also a docking station for my ThinkPad, which has a native serial port that is passed through from the motherboard. We'll see which one gets here first!

Offline Sigmaz

• -Jon
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2018, 10:12:49 PM »
Haha awesome.

Offline protel8000

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2018, 05:12:06 PM »
Running Sigmaz's Bootable USB image on real PC hardware with a real serial port worked on the first try! No special setup, 1200 baud over VoIP even!

Thank you Sigmaz for your help and for the Bootable image. Now I need to learn ExpressNet....  :o ;D

Edit: I had a few issues with subsequent connections, probably due to latency/noise from the VoIP line. I changed my settings to force 300 Baud and that seems to have improved the results.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 06:45:42 PM by protel8000 »