Author Topic: Classic Rotary Phone forum on Facebook?  (Read 508 times)

Online TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
Re: Classic Rotary Phone forum on Facebook?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2018, 10:00:45 PM »
There are already a couple of Facebook groups out there dedicated to phone collecting.  They are mostly geared towards answering questions from newbies and showing off stuff you bought.

In anyone is curious, here is one that surfaced in the Classifieds about 6 months ago and is on Facebook, but almost all of the posts are the site owner linking to other sites (TCI and others) for content. The Facebook link in the this forum link.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18284.msg188058#msg188058

This is neither an endorsement or criticism of that site, just offered as an example of how hard it is to do and information based site on Facebook. Everything posted the way Facebook is set up today is fleeting at best.

Anyone ever make it to this museum, which was discussed on the forum, with some erroneous assumptions and questions?
            John . . .

Offline Babybearjs

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2018, 02:22:52 AM »
WOW! everyone loves this forum... how about we start a "KILL Facebook Page"??
John

Offline dsk

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2018, 05:51:36 AM »
John, no the question is relevant! Maybe we need to take this up from time to time to be sure about what we want with this forum, what we should strengthen, and what we should avoid. 

It is room for this forum, with traceable threads, depending on active good moderators. This is developing more like a telephone encyclopedia, with the possibility of seeing the discussions leading to the conclusions.  How should this develop further?  ...

On Facebook who we have several groups, I am following some, and sometimes it pops up some interesting stuff. People wonder if I do not click on like, do I dislike? or did I not see the posting...  I am not happy with that, but sometimes I pick up some info, mostly not.
The most interesting group for me is one Norwegian mainly telling me that I am not the only one by 5 millions of Norwegians who like telephones, it is at least 30 more... 

By my opinion, if it was no facebook group for us, we should have made one. pr now I would rather hope we could agree about one. My opinion would be that "telephone collectors international" is a good one open for all.  It is serious, it is not the biggest, but it seems to be suiting the needs for those members here who need one.  Even when my favorite (based on my needs) is this one: "Gamle telefoner som er brukt i Norge"

dsk

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:20:33 AM by dsk »
Please notify me of dead links in my postings.

C*NET +1 999-3011

I have even got a regular New York number :-) 646 570 1796

Offline ThePillenwerfer

• Joe's Corner.
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2018, 08:45:09 AM »
WOW! everyone loves this forum... how about we start a "KILL Facebook Page"??

Now that I would join!

Offline Dan/Panther

• Global Moderator
  • Kaw-Liga, I will NEVER forget you. 8/4/98--9/20/10
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 12:27:28 PM »
One other thing to consider. If someone tried to post to Facebook that they found the original Nazi phone owned by Hitler, Facebook would not allow it to be posted. :o :o :o

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.

Offline Butch Harlow

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2018, 06:51:15 PM »
Well, I have a lot to say on this, so sorry in advance...
In addition to phones, I have collected PEZ dispensers for a long, long time. Back in the late '90s and early 2000's there were a number of EXCELLENT forum sites for pezheads, All had great moderation and expert collectors and dealers as members, kinda just like this. Shortly after fakebook started with groups all the forum sites went to facebook and all the members got scattered to the wind. Today there are no less than a hundred facebook Pez pages and no way to keep track of any of it. I understand webhosting and moderating a site like this can be a cash and time costly endeavor, but TRUST ME, its worth it to keep it here and off that hobby wrecker facebook. I would gladly pay money to keep this place running, it has proved to be an indispensable resource to me in the early part of this awesome, more technically interesting than Pez hobby I have embarked upon. Anyway, my answer is an emphatic NO!

Offline AE_Collector

• Global Moderator
  • AE 2 - AECo's 1st Self Contained Desk Phone 1925
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 08:50:44 PM »
So...you’re a definite maybe then?  😏

Just kidding, good to hear a thought out reason why not to Facebook complete with examples.

Terry

Offline HarrySmith

• 1956 Rose Beige 500
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 09:29:04 PM »
Well, I have a lot to say on this, so sorry in advance...
In addition to phones, I have collected PEZ dispensers for a long, long time. Back in the late '90s and early 2000's there were a number of EXCELLENT forum sites for pezheads, All had great moderation and expert collectors and dealers as members, kinda just like this. Shortly after fakebook started with groups all the forum sites went to facebook and all the members got scattered to the wind. Today there are no less than a hundred facebook Pez pages and no way to keep track of any of it. I understand webhosting and moderating a site like this can be a cash and time costly endeavor, but TRUST ME, its worth it to keep it here and off that hobby wrecker facebook. I would gladly pay money to keep this place running, it has proved to be an indispensable resource to me in the early part of this awesome, more technically interesting than Pez hobby I have embarked upon. Anyway, my answer is an emphatic NO!

You, all members and guests can help offset the cost of keeping our wonderful forum up & running. There is a PayPal donate link on the top of the page just below the forum banner. I myself make a small donation yearly. I figure it is the least I can do for all the help and info I get here!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:33:20 PM by HarrySmith »
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Offline Babybearjs

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2018, 12:04:41 AM »
Boy, I really got you guys going with just 1 question. I will tell you the truth... I hate facebook, because it has caused so much social damage. I like it for family, but that's about all... I see reposts and junk all the time and it makes me mad... Sharing on facebook does open up the viewers, a lot more people can join in, but then you get more junk coming in... this forum does work, but at times seems closed... oh well, there is just so much room.... I think the idea was to have it free, so no one had to pay for server space... that's were the facebook idea came from. Plus having something on Facebook would "Possibly" bring in new collectors and techs to the conversation. fresh blood is always good... keeps things alive... I'm glad I got you guys responding... at least I know how you all feel...
John

Offline twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2018, 12:39:21 AM »
About the only facebook-related thing I use is Instagram (assimilated by the faceborg collective some years back), but I post mostly rubbish on there the majority of the time, so it's just an outlet for my sense of sillyness for me... :)

https://www.instagram.com/twocvbloke/

It is funny the way some people react to my not being on facebook, at college, a woman sat opposite me asked if I used it and she genuinely seemed shocked that I didn't use it (or watch certain TV shows like Prison Break!!), I just explained that it doesn't appeal to me, and seeing people sat next too each other chatting to each other on facebook, it literally is like the borg, they're all one mind in a huge collective, interfaced by wireless devices that keep them connected at all times, it's scary... :o

Offline SUnset2

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2018, 01:16:46 AM »
No thanks.  I avoid Facebook like the plague.

Online TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 11:11:39 AM »
As I read this topic to update the tally in reply #2, this image always comes to mind.
            John . . .