News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Soft Plastic phones

Started by MMikeJBenN27, October 31, 2019, 05:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMikeJBenN27

Is it OK to use Armor-All on soft plastic phones?

LarryInMichigan

Before using anything which you are not sure is safe, try a small amount on the inside of the shell first to see if it causes damage.  i never used Armor-All, so I do not know if it is safe.

Larry

Doug Rose swears by Avon's Skin So Soft.
Search for it here in the forums.

HarrySmith

Avon SSS is for bakelite, not plastic. I hate Amour All, makes things slimy! I use a product by Turtle Wax called F-21 super protectant.. It is in a green bottle. I get it at auto parts stores. Works well and does not make plastic slimy. I use it on soft & hard palstic with no issues.

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Scott

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 31, 2019, 10:40:56 AM
Avon SSS is for bakelite, not plastic. I hate Amour All, makes things slimy! I use a product by Turtle Wax called F-21 super protectant.. It is in a green bottle. I get it at auto parts stores. Works well and does not make plastic slimy. I use it on soft & hard palstic with no issues.

Thanks for the tip. Do you use the paste or spray?

Scott K.

HarrySmith

Spray. I did not know there was a paste?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Scott

It showed up on an internet search.

Scott K.

Doug Rose

I used 400 grit sandpaper using Avon SSS instead of water on this soft plastic Med Blue 500. Looks shiny to me....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 31, 2019, 01:12:36 PM
I used 400 grit sandpaper using Avon SSS instead of water on this soft plastic Med Blue 302. Looks shiny to me....Doug

OK, guess I was wrong. Thanks for the clarification. By the way, funny looking 302 ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 31, 2019, 01:42:43 PM
OK, guess I was wrong. Thanks for the clarification. By the way, funny looking 302 ;)
got my mords wixed
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Now that I reread it, you used the SSS while sanding not after? Interesting.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Western Bell

All these above use variety of chemical solvents including mineral spirits, light petroleum distillates an mineral oil to suspends a wax, spread an oil or evenly apply silicone on a surface. Novus 1 clean all that residues off plastic surfaces leave it clean. Does anyone know what the a long term affects are do to putting solvent based waxes on soft plastic or ABS?

FABphones

Quote from: MMikeJBenN on October 31, 2019, 05:50:48 AM
Is it OK to use Armor-All on soft plastic phones?

I'm not familiar with that brand so I looked it up, they have quite a few products: cleaners, wipes, protectants, wax....

Which one in particular were you looking at? What exactly is it you are wanting to do?

I would select one, look at the ingredients, then check them against the soft plastic/tenite restoration info on here. And as suggested, do a test patch to double check results.

Re using SSS with sandpaper, the oil would act as a lubricant to the grit. Have never used oil with sandpaper, but I would guess the plastic would need a final wipe down to prevent leaving a residue (as the oil would not be able to penetrate this plastic) and buffing with a clean soft cloth.

Let us know how you get on.  :)

ETA
This thread explains Tenite restoration. Step by step with photos:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20164

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 31, 2019, 02:51:15 PM
Now that I reread it, you used the SSS while sanding not after? Interesting.
Harry for a wet send I use SSS instead of water. it doesn't dry out and goes a long way to keep it moist. When I was done I just wiped of the excess SSS and it just shines....Doug
Kidphone

andre_janew

There was a product advertised on TV a while back.  I think the name of it was Vynal Renew.  Wipe it on and it revives faded plastic.  It was made by the same company that makes Armor-All.