Author Topic: Fixing a Distorted coiled Handset Cord.  (Read 43528 times)

Offline cloyd

Re: Fixing a Distorted coiled Handset Cord.
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2017, 04:56:05 PM »
Thanks, that helps!
Did you drill holes through each end of your dowel for the wire to suspend it and the cord?  I'm guessing you don't want the cord to rest on the 2" PVC tube when it is getting so hot.
I'm going to put this on my list of things to make!
Well done!

Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »
Did you drill holes through each end of your dowel for the wire to suspend it and the cord?  I'm guessing you don't want the cord to rest on the 2" PVC tube when it is getting so hot.

No, I run the station wire through the holes in the end of the 2" pipe and around the dowel. Do that from 3 different angles and I have a way then to adjust the dowel, to get it centered. That's a temporary thing. Now that I know the oven works, to both hold and center the dowel I had planned on drilling and tapping 3 holes, 120 apart in the 2" PVC and then using thumb screws, like in a Christmas tree stand, to center and hold the rod. I'd epoxy glue a nut and washer on the end of each thumbscrew to provide a larger surface to engage the dowel.  Plans in the works, no time to do that yet. Next time I need to tighten a cord, I will get to that.

I have since purchased some smooth, round aluminum rod 4' long by 3/8" diameter. Wood is an insulator. Aluminum will allow the handset cord to heat all the way through. Haven't had time to try that yet.

John . . .

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2017, 07:13:52 PM »
It's been some time since I found 3/8" round aluminum rod in a 3' length but I finally got a change to use it today.

Did everything the same as I did with wood dowel and it turned out well. Once again I forgot to take a before photo but I do have the first image from the eBay listing. The handset cord really is matching beige, just dirty grey. You can see it was not in the worst shape but it was stretched out in the usual places.

After cleaning, wrapping on the aluminum rod, heating, cooling and unwrapping the cord, it turned out nice.

One thing I did notice was the cord stuck to the aluminum meaning the whole cord was heated. One thing I learned is before doing this, reverse twist the cord so it is back in the original position it was when made and then reverse twisted by WE. I get a better coil when doing it that way, reproducing the way it was done by we when they made these from round cords.

By the way, the phone had 4 sticker areas, glue only, and the one in the box was removed with a wood chisel - left gouges in the plastic which took a half hour to sand out.

It's a bit dis-colored, some of which came out in bleach, but leaving it as it for I know where it is going and how thrilled the guy will be to get it for free. A favor for a favor, not a collector's level phone.
            John . . .