News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Memorial Day Thanks to those Veterans who gave their all

Started by Key2871, May 27, 2018, 08:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

To all the veterans, thanks for your service. I appreciate it!
Well I thought this was general discussion... Wrong!
KEN

Key2871

To all veterans, thank you for making our country strong !
I for one appreciate it.
KEN

TelePlay

Quote from: Key2871 on May 27, 2018, 09:51:08 PM
To all veterans, thank you for making our country strong !
I for one appreciate it.

Key2871, thank you for posting. Your sentiment is well taken, understood and appreciated.

There is a misconception, a confusing of Memorial Day with Veterans Day which is quite common these days for more than a few reasons including schools just don't teach factual American History as they once did.

Memorial Day is the day we remember those who gave their lives, who died fighting for this country in armed conflict.

Veterans Day is, and rather than try to compose something, best said in this text from Wikipedia to describe Veterans Day, the day upon which all veterans are thanked for their service regardless of where or how they served.

"Veterans Day is an official United States public holiday, observed annually on November 11, that honors military veterans; that is, persons who served in the United States Armed Forces. It coincides with other holidays, including Armistice Day and Remembrance Day, celebrated in other countries that mark the anniversary of the end of World War I; major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, when the Armistice with Germany went into effect. The United States previously observed Armistice Day. The U.S. holiday was renamed Veterans Day in 1954"

Having had a father who fought in WW-II from North Africa and into Italy, having first cousins who fought in Korea and myself (please don't thank me for my service, not looking for that here) in Nam, I'm just trying to stop the confusion some have of two holidays, a confusion that even had one of our past Presidents misspeaking gravely to a group of uniformed veterans in a Memorial Day speech in 2008 at Las Cruces NM when he said "On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes — and I see many of them in the audience today — our sense of patriotism is particularly strong.".

At least this year I haven't see any Happy Memorial Day or Celebrate Memorial Day sales being advertised on TV, common a few years ago. Nothing happy about Memorial Day in the United States.

With that said, I hope this helps un-confuses this holiday and the one in November so anyone wishing to do so can offer the proper sentiment on each of the holidays. Not trying to make anyone feel bad for any comments, just trying to help everyone understand the difference going forward.

Remember Memorial Day, celebrate Veterans Day.

Key2871

Maybe, if things weren't so cluttered it would have been easier to find the correct area. And I did try to delete my original post, like I was able to do before, but now can't.
So let's get out the flags and say, hey stupid you posted in the wrong area again!
KEN

jsowers

I'd like to thank John for his concise explanation of the holiday. It got me thinking of my uncle Ben, who was captured during the Battle of the Bulge in December, 1944 and a German POW for several months. He was lucky to be alive at the end of WWII and returned home just skin and bones. He said they ate the icicles off the railroad cars as a source of water when they were transported by rail, and were served rutabaga soup (yuck) while in the prison camp. Uncle Ben died very young, at age 43, of pancreatic cancer, in 1966, leaving my aunt with three boys to raise. So the war had a tremendous effect on my uncle.

About the list of categories being confusing, not to me. If it has nothing to do with telephones, then it goes in Off Topic. Simple as that.
Jonathan

Key2871

Obviously some here think that I don't know the difference between memorial Day, and veterans day.
My father was a vet, as we're several that I called friend, some of whom gave everything in Vietnam, dessert storm.

I tried to find a place as where to do my post. All I see on my small screen is a lot of words, like child boards, etc etc.

All a moderator had to do is put the second one, that was in what I thought was a good place, and delete, as in get rid of my other post.
No, that would have been easy, but he had to no only post both by moving both, (wasted space) and then do a nice looong post about what memorial Day is about.
As if to say, hey stupid it ain't veterans day! It memorial Day.
Gee thanks, I dnt no the dufance . And I won't make the mistake of posting something like that again.
KEN

HarrySmith

Memorial Day 2021
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

les morts, les blessés, les vivants
les soldats, les civils
les animaux....

...on se souvient de toi avec honneur
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

Personally remembering Paul, Terry, Gerald, Robert, Milton, Scotty and all of the others who tried to keep all free, at least for a few decades, in their ultimate sacrifice.

FABphones

Very moving John. And thank you for your service.

Again this year I will light the candles in the ruins of the church.

God bless all.

les morts, les blessés, les vivants
les soldats, les civils
les animaux....

...on se souvient de toi avec honneur

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

ALL GAVE SOME
SOME GAVE ALL
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Western Bell

Seems few care about such stuff anymore, quite the change from the way it was In 2001 to 2003.

19and41

I had a family emergency during the memorial day weekend.  I usually try to post this site that shows and describes our battle monuments to American service members.

https://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries-memorials
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke