Author Topic: Need a simplified diagram for a WE 233-G Payphone  (Read 1235 times)

Offline poplar1

• 1051-AL
Re: Need a simplified diagram for a WE 233-G Payphone
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 12:01:28 AM »
Again, 3 on relay has a long yellow wire that goes to T, along with the (originally red) transmitter wire. Relay does not connect to R on hookswitch.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Offline Butch Harlow

• Honeyboo-boo1255
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 12:15:44 AM »
Again, 3 on relay has a long yellow wire that goes to T, along with the (originally red) transmitter wire. Relay does not connect to R on hookswitch.

Ok. So the #3 relay connection should terminate at T and I should remove the yellow wire going from T to R on hookswitch? Boy, I sure can't read drawings, lol. One day I am going to tr wake a class just so I can read electrical diagrams. I will head back over there in the morning and correct that.
Butch Harlow

Offline poplar1

• 1051-AL
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 12:23:14 AM »
The diagram is confusing because it shows the terminals inside the handset (W,W,BK,R) which at first glance appear to be terminals in the phone.

Phone originally had a cloth-like wire going from 3 on relay to T on terminal strip, where it connected to the red transmitter wire. Nothing between R on hookswitch and the terminal block at top.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Offline RotarDad

• Simplex School Clock
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 12:54:29 AM »
Thanks poplar1 for correcting my error misinterpreting the handset connections on the diagram; my apologies to Butch.  Frustrating as I had this all figured out and my 233G/685A working perfectly some time ago (since sold so I couldn’t look at it)..... I needed forum help back then too, now that I think of it.....   :)
Paul

Offline Butch Harlow

• Honeyboo-boo1255
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 07:19:30 AM »
....I needed forum help back then too, now that I think of it.....   :)

I would have been totally lost without assistance. I am more than thankful for folks here and elsewhere willing to lend their expertise to solve the problem. I am up super early for a Saturday, my dreams were peppered with images of fully functional paystations, I have no idea why. I am going back over to remove that wire and see where things are. Then once I have tested the firepower of this fully operational battlestation. I will blow up a planet or two in celebration.

Fear not the error, failure only moves me that much closer to success. It's the process I love, when it's done then I look for more things to fail on until I don't. If this was easy, I wouldn't want to do it.
Butch Harlow

Offline Butch Harlow

• Honeyboo-boo1255
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 09:19:52 AM »
Ok, removed the yellow wire from T to R, made sure all receiver wires were in the proper locations. Now the talk circuit works properly. I can hear, talk and be heard. It makes calls and everything without any difficulty or issue. I just need to wire the ringer to work and I am in the clean up phase.
Butch Harlow

Offline Butch Harlow

• Honeyboo-boo1255
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 06:42:29 PM »
It's all done! Looks great and has graduated from a piggy bank phone to a functional paystation. Thanks!
Butch Harlow

Offline RotarDad

• Simplex School Clock
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 06:59:07 PM »
That’s great news, Butch!  Despite my “sabotage” with an errant wire, you got it running.  It really feels great to get an old, neglected item like this working again, doesn’t it?  I just typed up a letter to my daughter today on my restored 1961 Olympia SM4 with cursive font - I just love the feeling of keeping the vintage stuff in service!
Paul

Offline Key2871

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 08:49:57 PM »
Congratulations, Butch. Nice work.
KEN

Offline Butch Harlow

• Honeyboo-boo1255
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2018, 09:01:43 AM »
Congratulations, Butch. Nice work.

Yes sir and thanks. That relay works flawlessly.

Despite my “sabotage” with an errant wire, you got it running.

no problem, I got there in the end. No fires, no throwing heavy things through windows, just patience. I have noticed I am far more patient as I get older, I may like that part of it.
Butch Harlow