News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

red 500 7/54 unused in box

Started by Butch Harlow, November 24, 2018, 06:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Harlow

I never find anything in Richmond area antique shops. So this weekend I had the opportunity to not be in Richmond and have some time to play. I made a short list of 3 antique shops in the Christiansburg VA area. Stop number two paid major dividends.  My daughter found it right away, she has been trained well. I flipped open the lid and looked briefly. I then cradled the box with both arms and refused to let it out of my sight. Inside was a 7/54 dated tomato red WE 500 desk set with a black metal dial and gray straight cords. It seemed complete as if it had never been in service, indeed I am certain it hasn't. The dial card ring and all its associated parts was still uninstalled in the original paper envelope. It's not chrome, but not painted either. The feet look as if they have never touched anything but the box. The inside of the phone has all parts matching except the receiver and one of the elements dated 8/54. I think what I have was well worth 50.00, yes? I did not even consider wheeling and dealing. I just paid my 50 bucks and ran away. Many pictures coming...
Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

More pics...
Butch Harlow

LarryInMichigan

Doug Rose

Nice find by your daughter!  Always good to have another set of eyes....fantastic!.....Doug
Kidphone

Find of the month phone for sure. Great find.

Key2871

Congratulations on your very nice find. Do you owe your daughter a token reward for her keen eye?
Enjoy your beautiful phone.
KEN

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Key2871 on November 24, 2018, 07:59:41 PM
Congratulations on your very nice find. Do you owe your daughter a token reward for her keen eye?
Enjoy your beautiful phone.

I am paying for her college, and it was kind of a daddy/daughter day. She loves antique shopping with me, which is great, because my wife hates it. But, yes I do definitely owe her for this awesome find. She has also located and photographed every single Bell System manhole cover in Blacksburg.
Butch Harlow

RotarDad

Wow - That is a beauty!  The black dial color sets are very uncommon.  Just a guess but I bet an EBay auction on that would easily go north of $500....   Fun way to spend time with your daughter, too!   That will get my FOTM vote, without seeing anything else!! 😎
Paul

tubaman

Nice!
Can we have a photo with the case on, as I've never seen a colour/black combo like that before (I didn't know they even existed).
:)

Butch Harlow

Quote from: tubaman on November 25, 2018, 12:33:15 PM
Nice!
Can we have a photo with the case on, as I've never seen a colour/black combo like that before (I didn't know they even existed).
:)

Sure can. I had noticed last night I failed to take that one pic. I was so excited by the insides. Here it is...
Butch Harlow

Pourme

What a epic find, Butch! These are the ones that stir one's soul! Unexpected euphoria!

Got to be The Find of the Month, personified!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

tubaman

Thanks for the photo Butch - a real beauty!
As you say its clearly never been used.
Interesting that the card retainer is plain metal - clearly done for effect.
Well done indeed.
;D

Key2871

In all my trips to shops I only found two sets that could pass as new, unused. A 102 with a number 2 dial, for a very nice price. and a 1957 manual set in black, NIB. That was $45.
You certainly made a rare find if you indeed told your daughter what to look for, she's done well indeed.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Butch Harlow on November 25, 2018, 01:35:25 PM
Sure can. I had noticed last night I failed to take that one pic. I was so excited by the insides. Here it is...
That should be submitted to the find of the month. It is a scarce phone to find. NIB is unheard of and a  huge bonus.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Jim Stettler on November 25, 2018, 05:56:02 PM
That should be submitted to the find of the month. It is a scarce phone to find. NIB is unheard of and a  huge bonus.
JMO,
Jim S.

Already done, sir!
Butch Harlow