"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial governor nylon retainer screw broken

Started by royalbox, December 15, 2018, 10:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

royalbox

Hello,
I don't know the proper name for it but I undid the nylon screw that holds the governor in place on a GPO 722 trimphone, and after a couple of turns the end just fell off. Now the dial locks up unless I put my finger over the end to stop the governor moving out too far. I hope that makes sense.

Other than getting a part from another dial, any ideas on how to fix this? It's too small and fiddly to glue back on really.

Thanks for any help.

RotoTech99

I had an experience like that with some AE dials that have a nylon governor cup; they can be a monster to replace.

My advice would be to try locating the piece,  or find a dial of the same type,  and change it out.

Most of the dials I use are AE 51's when I'm working with older sets,  they're surprisingly durable,  and easy to wire.

RotoTech99

royalbox

Thanks, I got a notification about your post just as I was typing the following:

I was able to get the threaded piece out with small nosed pliers. I placed the screw head piece upside down into some "blu tack" to hold it. With the aid of a magnifying glass I added a dab of epoxy glue onto it then using tweezers, carefully lowered the threaded piece onto it in as near the original orientation as possible. I was lucky to get it about right first time so didn't mess with it, just left it for a few days to set.

It's screwed back in and working fine for now, but I don't know how long it will last.