Author Topic: REN - Ringer Equivalency Numbers  (Read 15484 times)

Offline Phonesrfun

• "Number Please"
Re: REN - Ringer Equivalency Numbers
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2013, 01:22:01 PM »
Dag:

Your measurements seem to show a REN of .76 for a WE 500, where I have always thought that the 500 was somewhere at about .9, rounded to 1.0.  Could that difference be due to frequency?  In Norway, you apparently have 25 HZ ringing current.  perhaps I will answer my own question by going back and looking at what Ralph says in the book.  You are more up to date on the reading than I am.
-Bill G

Offline dsk

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2013, 03:40:38 PM »
You are right, I have used the setup described by Ralph O Meyer, but used 25HZ. This is compensated by using a load of 8000 ohms as 1 REN instead of 7000 at 20Hz.
What I measured is true, but the the power-supply is frequency divider, how clean the Sinusoid current actually are is unknown. The phones of equal type may also wary quite much, so the values may be just an indication.

All help and hints are welcome.

dsk
Please notify me of dead links in my postings.

C*NET +1 999-3011

I have even got a regular New York number :-) 646 570 1796

Offline AE_Collector

• Global Moderator
  • AE 2 - AECo's 1st Self Contained Desk Phone 1925
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2013, 08:07:08 PM »
I have merged up several "REN" discussions here now. (NOT) Surprisingly, "dsk" seems to have been involved in most of them if not all of them!

Terry

Offline dsk

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2013, 04:31:14 AM »
 :D REN is an interesting unit. Seems quite logic, just like CANDLEPOWER. Wen it comes to real practical life, its not simple at all.  D.c. resistance has been used, and many collectors has used resistors to adjust the resistance of the circuit.
At the moment all this seems to be indications. When you run different ringers with equal data, some are ringing more easy than others.  Traditionally the high ohm ringers were used at long lines with weak signals, but the mechanical design may be important.

Any conclusion? Not exactly, I have much more to learn.

dsk

Some thoughts added later:

The force from an electromagnet is described here: http://tinyurl.com/bku87lz
The frequency is no issue in those consideration, but if the ringer is made for approx that frequency we could optimize the sensitivity of the ringer, for later make it work at the lowest possible electric load. The easy movement is important, a shorter gap (less way to move for the clapper)
This will give a softer ring, with less sound volume, but I have noticed the still loud volume.
This has of course to be followed by adjustment of the gongs. Positioning the gongs as near as possible to each extreme rest position of the clapper, but not touching works well.
This is not so easily adjusted at single coil ringers, as older twin coil ringers. Frequency ringers are far out of this, because the resonant frequency is tuned in to all parts of the ringer.

If you want to many ringers, you may have to live with bell tinkling, and skip the using of the bias spring.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:24:01 AM by dsk »

C*NET +1 999-3011

Offline George Knighton

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2013, 08:11:46 AM »
If you want to
  • many ringers, you may have to live with bell tinkling, and skip the using of the bias spring.
There's gotta be something wrong.  That's just waaaaay too simple an answer!
Annoying new poster.

Offline GTE Rick

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2013, 05:41:29 PM »
Did Bell & GTE calculate REN Differently?  I was looking at the bottom of some GTE/AE phones and saw these stickers on the bottom
The Starlite - It's pretty, It's Practical, It's Panelescent!

Offline Babybearjs

Re: REN levels
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2013, 01:02:21 AM »
problem solved.... bias springs in high position. all phones are ring now. disconnected ringers on 2 of them, too loud!
John

Offline dsk

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2015, 03:52:37 PM »
This document could be of interest.   http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slua060/slua060.pdf
Here they design a ringer power supply at 125mA and states it to be 10 REN.

dsk

C*NET +1 999-3011

Offline markosjal

« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2017, 12:57:09 AM »
I just posted this
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19475.0

As it seems somewhat relevant to this thread I thought maybe someone from this thread could enlighten me

My question is not about RENs as much as high impedance ringing.

My Grandstream HT503 will not ring an AE Styleline nor a WE Princess 2702BM.

IT WILL ring Mexican Indetel models and Mexican Ericsson Models. Both of these have .33mF Capacitors

Mark
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 01:09:51 AM by markosjal »
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish