News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - April 2019

Started by Jim Stettler, March 31, 2019, 05:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - April 2019  *** Vote for Three ***

andre_janew's WE 500 phone dated 3-55              $11.99 plus $18.18 shipping.   eBay
2 (7.7%)
Russ Kirk's Western Electric 130 Donut                  $275 and picked up from collector
13 (50%)
not an option-vote will not count
3 (11.5%)
FABphones's British Trimphone 8766 two tone red  £5, USD $6, CAN $8.
11 (42.3%)
HowardPgh's 50 year old red Contempra               $12.50 after some haggling. Antique store
4 (15.4%)
tubaman's French CIT brown bakelite wall phone.   £17.70 plus £5 about $30.00 total US   eBay
8 (30.8%)
oldguy's Imperial   $11.95 + $11.97 S&H               $23.72 total  shopgoodwill.com
13 (50%)
 dsk's Norwegian payphone                          cost   NOK 300 about $35.25 US local ad
10 (38.5%)
Whitcrane76's White Sculptura                              $35 + $13.02 shipping        eBay
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: May 08, 2019, 06:01:26 PM

Jim Stettler

Post your "Find of the Month" here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it. Other than that, any discussion of or comments about the nominated phone are not allowed, FOTM nominations only. As stated below, "Ideally your item would be (first) posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum" and if so, "the forum link if discussed in another topic" is to be included in the nomination reply.

If a significant discussion of a nominated phone starts in a FOTM topic, it will be moved to a new "discussion" topic in the appropriate board and if not, then simply removed.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) where and/or how the item was found.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) the forum link to the topic discussing the find.
4) the eBay link if won there.
5) other information of importance about the find (why the item is very important to you for any reason).
6) and one or two pictures of the item.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include limited multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:

--> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:
          --> Photo Album <--

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.
You live, You learn,

andre_janew

I'd like to nominate my WE 500 phone dated 3-55 that I bought on eBay for $11.99 plus $18.18 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/233161084625

It may be the last of the 500s to have the 3-point dial bracket.  It was also discussed here:  www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11422.195

Russ Kirk

I would like to nominate my latest find.

I have been searching for this Western Electric 130 Donut phone for many years.

I went over to a fellow collector's house yesterday to discuss phones and his collection. He offered me this phone for $275.

The nickel and black painted surfaces are in excellent condition. No corrosion anywhere.

A couple of small items to resolve: 
The wire from the transmitter is broken,  I will get a replacement NOS wire (green?) when I visit the seller again in a week or two.
I have to find a brass screw, brass washer and insulated washer for the pile up. these items should not be hard to find, I already have them in my workbench.

I have an extra WE OST receiver, not sure if I will use it, but it certainly will make it look cool!     
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Whitcrane76

1011A Manual butt-set
$3.95 from eBay. Not very rare, but you can't beat the price!

FABphones

I will submit this nice little British Trimphone 8766 in two tone red.
Nothing needed to be done apart from an anti-bac wipe over and a quick polish.
Issued in 1982, this colourway not so easy to find nowadays.
Not my usual colour theme, but I have a weak spot for Trimphones  :).
Price £5, USD $6, CAN $8.

Shown here, page 8:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3387
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HowardPgh

I nominate my 50 year old red Contempra that I got for $12.50 after some haggling.
Story here http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=22418.msg226032#msg226032
Howard

tubaman

Please may I nominate my French CIT brown bakelite wall phone.
£17.70 plus £5 p&p from eBay.
Forum link - http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=22453
It dates from 1947 and is in great original condition and working.
:)

oldguy

I would like to submit the Imperial I picked up this on shopgoodwill.com for find of the month. I paid $11.95 + $9.97 shipping +$2.00 handling = $23.72. In the pictures it looked like it had an ivory thermoplastic handset, a good open center finger wheel & a good leather bottom. When I got it, it did indeed have a thermoplastic handset & the rest. The body is a little rough & it has a vinyl handset cord.  I have a nice ivory WE 354 with a G handset & another Imperial with a brass colored finger wheel. So just for parts I think it was a good deal. I'm not sure what I will do with it yet but I'm happy with the find.
Gary

dsk

I would like to nominate my Norwegian payphone

I have not been able to come further with this, but It is tested, I have soldered a few straps, and it works with the 16kHz billing system.

This time it was not easy to drill out the ABLOY lock, the brass was changed to hardened steel.

I found the ad on net, and could pick it up on my way so the cost was the price of NOK 300 or around $35.25. 
These phones are not easy to come over, 50 lbs of ugly steel who no-one can use... I am going to build a control unit starting to collect money when party answers, and then every xx seconds.  That is how it worked here in the old days.  The only difference is that I have only one tax sone  ;)

The phone is in good shape but definitely used, the handset has scratches and I need 2 new locks.  It will be for regular keys this time.

dsk

Whitcrane76

Got another for consideration. Bought this last night of eBay, ordinarily I don't think much of a Sculptura, but the warranty expiration date on this one just happens to be the second most significant date in the history of telephony. So I submit the white Sculptura.
It was listed as bin $75 or make offer, first offer was $30, he accepted $35 + shipping.
The Divestiture White Sculptura
Not sure why but it won't let me remove the buttset post.

oldguy

I hate to sound ignorant but what happen on 12/31/83? (Maybe ma bell broke up?)
Gary

Whitcrane76

Quote from: oldguy on April 25, 2019, 10:50:09 PM
I hate to sound ignorant but what happen on 12/31/83? (Maybe ma bell broke up?)
That is the date of divestiture. The official death of Ma Bell.

Jim Stettler

Voting is open for April 2019 Find of the month.

Option 3 was a changed  nomination.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Well, April is a tie, 13 votes each on Russ Kirk's Western Electric 130 Donut phone and Oldguy's  Imperial
So we will have a 3-day 1 vote runoff poll
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

And the winner in the tie breaker runoff vote is:
Old Guy's Imperial
You live, You learn,