Author Topic: Can't break dial tone  (Read 652 times)

Offline SUnset2

Re: Can't break dial tone
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 01:18:06 AM »
Don't use WD-40, it turns gummy over time.  If you feel compelled to use an aerosol lubricant, CRC 2-26 is not nearly as problematic.  I admit to cheating and using CRC 2-26 to free up sticky dials.  I've had pretty good luck with it.    Home Depot sells it in 5 oz cans in the electrical tools section.

Offline FABphones

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 03:54:25 AM »
Tom, did you try hookswitch dialling? Wondering what your result was with that.

....WD-40 could help! I get very liberal with it when I'm fixing a phone and have had great results.... dousing the dial with it doesn't hurt it...

When I first started to attend to dial issues I was told on here not to use WD40. It is a quick fix but will in time help attact a new build up of dust/grime.

At the moment I use compressed air, a quick dry contact cleaner and an oil pen. I also recently invested in an Ultrasonic Cleaner.

With the help of a good tutor I'm currently learning how to strip a dial and clean it properly (when I am confident enough to take apart more dials I'll be interested to compare a thorough clean against one using my current method).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'
...and a Duck!
----------------
I don't collect Red Phones  ...they are starting to collect me
----------------
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Offline dsk

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 04:43:09 AM »
I have also good experience with Wd40 as a quickfix. This May delay  the need for doing the real job with months, or Even a few years.  The big risk is to get it into the centrifugal regulator.  When you get it working, and have the time, you may do the job as described in this thread, or try for the next 5 rears time. rinse/wash the dial in warm water with dish soap, dry quickly, rinse well in alcohol. At last; oil carefully with watch oil or other suitable silicon free oil.

dsk

Offline dsk

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 04:47:58 AM »
The hookswitch is the thing the handset rests on when not in use. Tapping it for the relevant number of pulses (10 times for a zero) and leaving a short gap between digits should dial out without actuallu using the dial.

For example: dialling 204 would be...

tap, tap, pause
tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, pause
tap, tap, tap, tap.

You have to do it at the right speed and it takes a bit of practice. Here in the UK we used to be able to make free calls on some Mercury payphones using this method!  ;D
. I have problems with timing. I guess you need excersize, or natural skills. ;D

dsk

Offline FABphones

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 05:11:18 AM »
. I have problems with timing. I guess you need excersize, or natural skills. ;D

dsk

Or a misspent youth ;).   Funny what Ďskillsí we pick up as kids.
I havenít a clue where I learnt to do this., but itís all in the timing.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'
...and a Duck!
----------------
I don't collect Red Phones  ...they are starting to collect me
----------------
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Offline Pourme

• One Ringy Dingy, Two Ringy Dingys...
  • Benny's Fatboy
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 07:49:52 PM »
My oil pen is sold to lubricate clock works with. They last "forever".
Benny

The Internet is a telephone system that's gotten uppity

Offline andy1702

• UK Telephone Restorer
    • Andys Shed
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 04:56:59 PM »
I learned the hookswitch dialling by listening to the clicks in the handset of rotary phones and just duplicating what I heard. That's how I figured out the timing.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.