News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can't break dial tone

Started by tommycam, June 06, 2019, 06:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUnset2

Don't use WD-40, it turns gummy over time.  If you feel compelled to use an aerosol lubricant, CRC 2-26 is not nearly as problematic.  I admit to cheating and using CRC 2-26 to free up sticky dials.  I've had pretty good luck with it.    Home Depot sells it in 5 oz cans in the electrical tools section.

FABphones

Tom, did you try hookswitch dialling? Wondering what your result was with that.

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 11, 2019, 10:42:46 PM
....WD-40 could help! I get very liberal with it when I'm fixing a phone and have had great results.... dousing the dial with it doesn't hurt it...

When I first started to attend to dial issues I was told on here not to use WD40. It is a quick fix but will in time help attact a new build up of dust/grime.

At the moment I use compressed air, a quick dry contact cleaner and an oil pen. I also recently invested in an Ultrasonic Cleaner.

With the help of a good tutor I'm currently learning how to strip a dial and clean it properly (when I am confident enough to take apart more dials I'll be interested to compare a thorough clean against one using my current method).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

dsk

I have also good experience with Wd40 as a quickfix. This May delay  the need for doing the real job with months, or Even a few years.  The big risk is to get it into the centrifugal regulator.  When you get it working, and have the time, you may do the job as described in this thread, or try for the next 5 rears time. rinse/wash the dial in warm water with dish soap, dry quickly, rinse well in alcohol. At last; oil carefully with watch oil or other suitable silicon free oil.

dsk

dsk

Quote from: andy1702 on June 08, 2019, 01:33:18 PM
The hookswitch is the thing the handset rests on when not in use. Tapping it for the relevant number of pulses (10 times for a zero) and leaving a short gap between digits should dial out without actuallu using the dial.

For example: dialling 204 would be...

tap, tap, pause
tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, pause
tap, tap, tap, tap.

You have to do it at the right speed and it takes a bit of practice. Here in the UK we used to be able to make free calls on some Mercury payphones using this method!  ;D
. I have problems with timing. I guess you need excersize, or natural skills. ;D

dsk

FABphones

Quote from: dsk on July 12, 2019, 04:47:58 AM
. I have problems with timing. I guess you need excersize, or natural skills. ;D

dsk

Or a misspent youth ;).   Funny what 'skills' we pick up as kids.
I haven't a clue where I learnt to do this., but it's all in the timing.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Pourme

My oil pen is sold to lubricate clock works with. They last "forever".
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

andy1702

I learned the hookswitch dialling by listening to the clicks in the handset of rotary phones and just duplicating what I heard. That's how I figured out the timing.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

guitar1580

I just ran onto this thread and gave the hookswitch dialing a try.  Dialed my cell phone and boom, it rang the first time. 

I've been fooling with old phones for 25 yrs or more and never tried this.  I do recall seeing someone doing it in a movie about someone in prison.

I have a phone with a dial problem right now that I'm working on, and this helps.  Very cool!  Thanks.

markosjal

tommycam
The Western Electric Spec as I recall is 10 PPS +/- 10% so it should take ever so slightly more than one second from dial stop to dial zero

I often just compare speed to a known good dial , dialing zero on both and releasing at the same time.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish