Author Topic: How do I wire a GPO pendant telephone, Tele 713?  (Read 125 times)

Offline andy1702

• UK Telephone Restorer
    • Andys Shed
How do I wire a GPO pendant telephone, Tele 713?
« on: July 10, 2019, 03:30:45 PM »
I'm looking for any information on how to wire up a GPO 713 pendant telephone. I know it has to be wired to a bellset and a draw dial, but I'm not sure what to connect to what. I've got the pendant phone and the draw dial on their way and I've found some photos of a Bellset 50B, which looks like it's just the chassis of a 746 with some of the components removed. Well I've got plenty of 746 spares, so I think I can make that bit.

The problem is that I'm drawing a total blank for any information on wiring the components up. Even Sam Hallas's website (where we normally go for info) only has pictureds of the components and a description, with no details of how to wire them.

To add an extra bit of a challenge, the 713 I've got coming has a neon light in the handset, so there must be some extra connections to make that flash when a call comes in.

Any ideas anyone?
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Offline Jim Stettler

• Global Moderator
Re: How do I wire a GPO pendant telephone, Tele 713?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 05:20:17 PM »
I would try to wire it as a 746. From what you are saying, my guess it is the same or close. Once you match the obvious, the rest should be easier to figure out.
Good Luck,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Offline twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 06:24:32 PM »

Offline andy1702

• UK Telephone Restorer
    • Andys Shed
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 02:47:54 AM »
Thanks for that. I think I can work itout from those diagrams.

Offline twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 05:30:21 AM »
No probs, been wanting to get myself a 713 and have the Handset No. 17A (bought from Bob Freshwater (of BritishTelephones.com) himself no less!) so have had those N-diagrams on hand for a while, though the two handsets are different, the neon lamp part is the same wiring... :)

Offline FABphones

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 06:09:34 AM »
I'm looking for any information on how to wire up a GPO 713 pendant telephone. I know it has to be wired to a bellset and a draw dial, but I'm not sure what to connect to what. I've got the pendant phone and the draw dial on their way and I've found some photos of a Bellset 50B, which looks like it's just the chassis of a 746 with some of the components removed. Well I've got plenty of 746 spares, so I think I can make that bit....

Could you pop some photos up Andy, and some showing your progress.

I've got one of these that I've built up from the spares boxes. I connected a handset ok as luckily the extensicord was left on the wall unit. The other three parts I just assumed connected as usual phone wiring; handset to wall unit, that unit to dial, then to a wall bell. Just with longer cords. Sounds like I may need to double check it against your findings. My test gear not set up yet.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones' - and a Duck!

* Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble *

Offline andy1702

• UK Telephone Restorer
    • Andys Shed
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 04:40:32 PM »
I've picked up the pendant phone today but it's still in the back of my van at the moment. Having studiesd those diagrams and had a read through Bob Freshwater's pages about bellsets, I think the bellset can be constructed from the chassis of a telephone 746.

As an aside to all this... Does anyone know how to access the neon to change the bulb?

I'll make a start when I get a spare minute and let you know how I get on.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:48:53 PM by andy1702 »

Offline twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:57:00 PM »
Changing the neon should be somewhat unnecessary, unlike ones used in appliances as power indicators, the ones in these handsets seem to last forever so long as they don't lose their seal, as for how, erm, pass, but I assume it would require removing the handset cable and probably extracting the strip it's attached to via either the transmitter cup or through the cable entry itself, I've not tried with my 17A for fear of breaking it...  ;D

Offline andy1702

• UK Telephone Restorer
    • Andys Shed
« Reply #8 on: Today at 02:12:33 PM »
I've made a strange discovery... The neon in the handset on this pendant doesn't actually look like a neon at all. On close inspection it looks like two tiny grain of wheat bulbs.

I had a good look at the diagrams this morning and it looks like I need an 8 way cable between the phone and my home-made bellset 50B. However as I've got a 'neon' and, as it turns out, an on/off switch, I have a horrible feeling I'm going to need a 12 way cable.

The colours in the 8 way seem to reveal it to be a standard 4 pair cable. But what is the 12 way? Does 6 pair cable exist? I've never seen any.

I'm hoping to start work assembling the bits tomorrow, so pictures will follow soon.  :)