News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Blue WE 302 $95

Started by Doug Rose, August 27, 2019, 07:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Sometime the Bear bits you.  Sunday, five grandkids running around, I jumped on eBay. Just listed first item $95 Blue 302. I bought it, told, Jan it will never happen. I get positive feedback...alright.

NO!

Six hours later an email from eBay. Order cancelled, item damaged.   >:(

It was barely on eBay, but someone got to him. I still have positive feedback from seller!

Sometimes the bear bites you.  :(.  ....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333306885756
Kidphone

RB

Bummer. That stinks, Doug.
:(

paul-f

May be worth reporting. There may be a trail ebay can follow in the messages to the seller. Chances are the "sale" will happen outside ebay.

ebay doesn't like that.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

Like Paul said, eBay does not like cancelled sales, they lose too.
That right there is a perfect example of what I have long said and firmly advocate.
If you see a rare or desirable item on one of the sites, don't post it OR contact the seller to point out how much the phone is really worth.
We as collectors are in this together and should support each other. If seller is not willing to take the time to research the value of an item, if you correct them, you have just basically screwed your fellow collector and increased future items with the same description. If Doug had purchased that phone for $95.00, all future phones like it, would reflect a lower average seller price, and we would all benefit.  Now the seller gets the benefit, and Doug got screwed out of a good deal. That is why I sweat bullets for 5 days when I bid on the 48-500. I prayed no one would contact the seller asking for better photos, or to tell him what he had.

One time a seller told me a part was damaged so he cancelled the sale. I told the seller regardless I wanted the part. We argued back and forth, I contacted eBay, and because of my long membership in eBay since 1998 eBay sided with me. I expected the parts to be destroyed when they arrived, but to my surprise they were not.

Please think about this, The person that contacted the seller, whom I refer to as Mr. Helpful, only helped the seller NOT the phone collecting community.

WOW DID YOU SEE THIS. OR DO YOU REALIZE THAT PHONE IS WORTH HUNDREDS MORE.
Only doubles or triples the price.
Loose lips sink ships. You will understand when it happens to you.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

countryman

Quote from: Dan/Panther on August 27, 2019, 12:09:28 PM
Like Paul said, eBay does not like cancelled sales, they lose to.

At least under german law it is a big risk to cancel an auction when someone already placed a bid. Some bidders even place 1...10€ bids on items hoping the seller will be stupid enough to cancel. Under certain circumstances they have a valid sales agreement at that bidding price... Ebay rules are the same way.
Since this was published 1€ auctions of valuable items have decreased in frequency. Won't help sellers who do not know the real value. General advice (and good practice) is not to cancel auctions... Ususally items will score a fair price anyway when bids come in early.

LarryInMichigan

I have had a few creative stories from sellers about what just happened to the item I bought from them a few hours ago (one fell down a staircase).  I don't think that it's worth the aggravation being bothered by it.  There are far worse things online, like the crook who has created dozens of phony listings on Etsy for valuable radios using the pictures and text from ebay listings.

Larry

Doug Rose

I contacted the seller after I received the auction has been cancelled message and received a eBay response he is away until 8/29. The auction was cancelled, even though I still have positive feedback from it.

I honestly do not know how to report this to eBay other than a lengthy phone call. Any ideas.....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Babybearjs

a warning to all you guys.... don't you know that antique collectors know about this site? whatever you say, they find out about it and are wise to the truth concerning phones.... at $95.00 its a bargain.... buy letting the cat out of the bag, they now know how much the phone is really worth! (whether they can sell it for that, is the question) its scary to know that we are too connected through the internet.  I like to keep things a secret concerning prices.... that way you can find more bargains! just some food for thought!
John

Doug Rose

Where did you see anywhere in this post a value of this phone? What am I missing....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 27, 2019, 02:30:14 PM
I honestly do not know how to report this to eBay other than a lengthy phone call. Any ideas.....thanks....Doug

Actually, a phone call may not always be lengthy. In over 20 years of buying and selling on ebay, I have only made a handful of phone calls -- the most recent over last weekend. Ebay staff has always been competent and courteous -- although I had to have my agenda well planned and was persistent in conveying my goals and keeping them on point. Trying to do that in emails would have been much more cumbersome and (in my opinion) more time consuming.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

tubaman

Quote from: paul-f on August 27, 2019, 11:11:55 PM
Actually, a phone call may not always be lengthy. In over 20 years of buying and selling on ebay, I have only made a handful of phone calls -- the most recent over last weekend. Ebay staff has always been competent and courteous -- although I had to have my agenda well planned and was persistent in conveying my goals and keeping them on point. Trying to do that in emails would have been much more cumbersome and (in my opinion) more time consuming.

My experience has been very similar. It's worth giving them a call to discuss this as they are pretty good (as are PayPal too). At the very least the seller should get a strike on his account.
:)

Dan/Panther

I think phoned in complaints get much faster results. They must have thousands of complaints and it may be a week or more before they even get to it. I always call.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

19and41

Call in your complaint.  Ebay has personnel who listen.  Try to call late at night, it seems easier to get hold of one of them.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Ktownphoneco

eBay allows that to happen.    Unless I've missed a rule change, there's nothing in their listing agreement that requires a seller to send them pictures of the so called "damaged item".   That needs to be part of the listing contract/agreement before it can have any "teeth".    The eBay system as it now stands has loopholes.    Lets face it Doug, you were going to buy it for $95.00 and flip it for $400.00.     Somebody beat you to it.    eBay needs to create rules that if something gets damaged "AFTER THE FACT", it needs to be backed up with a series of well taken digital photographs with "today's local newspaper"in the background."   If eBay doesn't take these steps, the situation won't change.

Jeff Lamb   

Doug Rose

Actually Jeff I have a really nice Blue dial blank that looked like a match. I did not intend to flip it. You are right about someone beating me to it even though I did buy it.

I spoke with eBay today and was told that the binding contract of a sale does not apply to a seller. Seller can cancel for any reason.  No harm, no foul.

Funny thing is, I sold for twenty years on eBay and they always sided with the buyer.  :( ....Doug

Kidphone