News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Make a rotary phone a cordless phone!

Started by markosjal, September 09, 2019, 10:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I remember that Radio Shack sold a rather unique cordless phone in the 70s or 80s that the base was cordless with a wired handset.

I just found this, WOW!

https://www.instructables.com/id/Low-tech-Rotary-Phone-made-wireless/

Interested in knowing if someone tries this. It might be nice to have a module that acts as a second handset that is installable in the phone so hacking a cordless phone is not nevessary, but relying on the base and connecting as a second handset.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

FABphones

Photo from above link:
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

twocvbloke

I remember someone on Instructables doing something similar, but turning it into a mobile phone, something I'd love to do with my Mk.28 MOD telephone (746 with a handset clamp), but haven't the heart to modify it in any way...  ;D

markosjal

If you use a base that connects via Bluetooth , I do not see why it would not work with Mobile phone over bluetooth too. Biggest problem would be selecting the BT line
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

shadow67

I remember in the 80s while I was in high school, a friend and I bought a cordless rotary phone at a yard sale. Wish I still had it as it was the only one I ever remember seeing. We experimented with it and found it transmitted at the top of the A.M. radio band. We rigged it up to make a poor man's broadcast station and I could tune my AM radio to hear my friend talking and playing music from about 2 blocks away. Luckily the FCC never caught us  :)