Author Topic: Make a rotary phone a cordless phone!  (Read 112 times)

Offline markosjal

Make a rotary phone a cordless phone!
« on: September 09, 2019, 10:20:11 PM »
I remember that Radio Shack sold a rather unique cordless phone in the 70s or 80s that the base was cordless with a wired handset.

I just found this, WOW!

https://www.instructables.com/id/Low-tech-Rotary-Phone-made-wireless/

Interested in knowing if someone tries this. It might be nice to have a module that acts as a second handset that is installable in the phone so hacking a cordless phone is not nevessary, but relying on the base and connecting as a second handset.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:28:15 PM by markosjal »
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Offline FABphones

Re: Make a rotary phone a cordless phone!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 10:49:31 PM »
Photo from above link:
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones' - and a Duck!

- I don't collect Red Phones  ...they are starting to collect me -

* Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Offline twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 11:10:09 PM »
I remember someone on Instructables doing something similar, but turning it into a mobile phone, something I'd love to do with my Mk.28 MOD telephone (746 with a handset clamp), but haven't the heart to modify it in any way...  ;D

Offline markosjal

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 12:06:35 AM »
If you use a base that connects via Bluetooth , I do not see why it would not work with Mobile phone over bluetooth too. Biggest problem would be selecting the BT line
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Offline shadow67

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 10:22:08 AM »
I remember in the 80s while I was in high school, a friend and I bought a cordless rotary phone at a yard sale. Wish I still had it as it was the only one I ever remember seeing. We experimented with it and found it transmitted at the top of the A.M. radio band. We rigged it up to make a poor man's broadcast station and I could tune my AM radio to hear my friend talking and playing music from about 2 blocks away. Luckily the FCC never caught us  :)