Author Topic: Estate sales and flea markets  (Read 507 times)

Offline Cole

Estate sales and flea markets
« on: September 22, 2019, 02:14:37 PM »
Does anyone find anything good at estate sales? I've been going to them for years, but up until recently I never really looked at the phones, so I'm just wondering.

I know at the typical yard sales, there usually aren't any old telephones, in fact if I see phones at all it's usually cell phones. Most of them just have clothes, baby stuff and glassware or knick-nacks.

Last weekend I went to a flea market and the phones were all newer cordless ones. Again, I never really paid attention to phones there before, but I will this fall/winter. We're coming up on the season here in FL where the snow birds will be coming and the weather will be cooler (well, slightly) and there are a lot more vendors at them then than in the summer.

Offline HarrySmith

• 1937 302
Re: Estate sales and flea markets
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 03:06:59 PM »
Here in South Florida they come up occasionally. Not very often but once in a while you get lucky. Remember, most of Florida was a swamp until the 1940's or 1950's when things started to grow so not a lot of old houses or old household equipment around. Other parts of the country seem to produce a much better supply of old phones. I see Doug's posts about the Brimfield flea market near him and he always scores. I have been to the big Swap Shop flea market several times and have not found a phone yet.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Offline andre_janew

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 04:26:20 PM »
Sometimes, you just have to go to such sales to find out what they have.  You might find nothing or you might find a real gem.

Offline Jim Stettler

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 07:09:49 PM »
I look in the basements at estate sales. sometimes you can still find hardwire sets in the family room,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Offline LarryInMichigan

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 07:20:42 PM »
I have found some good stuff at estate sales on a few occasions, like this one several years ago: forum link.  I have bought quite a few things over the years at the local flea market, but most trips yield nothing. 

Larry

Online Desert Phone Guy

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 08:35:36 PM »
Estate sales are very good... I  did find a WE A1 with the correct dial for $5 at an estate sale.  Thing with this hobby is the search....

You have to enjoy the search, and you will occasionally get rewarded.

Last week I got a WE beveled edge transmitter on Ebay for $29.  So stuff does happen.  Just have to look and be at the right place at the right time.

Keep looking...

Offline Dan/Panther

• Global Moderator
  • Kaw-Liga, I will NEVER forget you. 8/4/98--9/20/10
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 01:09:42 PM »
When I lived in Orange County Ca., I made it a point to hit yard sales every weekend. Up here in Anza, not many yard sales, but I like to stop if I see one. Which is getting more often.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Offline Key2871

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 01:19:25 PM »
Well around here in these parts, older phones just are not really there anymore. Oh there were at one point, but I think I picked them all up..
I still look at yard sales, but either someone has else is placing eBay prices on their stuff, or there's nothing worth picking up..
KEN

Offline 19and41

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 06:09:09 PM »
One thing there seems to be a propensity for at estate sales, though being in a different colllecting genere than phones, are console stereo sets.  You can find a diamond on the ground in that regard.  It doesn't hurt to scout the sales in Craigslist.  Many times they will show what will be on offer. Unfortunately, around here it is a lifetimes' collection of margarine tubs.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Pourme

• One Ringy Dingy, Two Ringy Dingys...
  • Benny's Fatboy
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 04:01:51 AM »
~

"Unfortunately, around here it is a lifetimes' collection of margarine tubs."

Maybe we could start a margarine tub forum?

Perhaps not......
Benny

The Internet is a telephone system that's gotten uppity

Offline Dan/Panther

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 12:24:52 PM »
One thing there seems to be a propensity for at estate sales, though being in a different colllecting genere than phones, are console stereo sets.  You can find a diamond on the ground in that regard.  It doesn't hurt to scout the sales in Craigslist.  Many times they will show what will be on offer. Unfortunately, around here it is a lifetimes' collection of margarine tubs.
I found a near mint condition RCA black and White console Television for $10.00 at an Estate sale.
D/P

Offline Dan/Panther

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 12:28:17 PM »
I found a near mint condition RCA black and White console Television for $10.00 at an Estate sale.
D/P
~

Perhaps not......
~

Perhaps not......
~

Perhaps not......

My Mom save her Margarine tubs. I collect Lincoln Wheat cents, they come in very handy for separating them by dates.

D/P

Offline andre_janew

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 04:18:33 PM »
My mom saved her margarine tubs as well.  She used them the way most people use their Tupperware.  In fact she even referred to them as Plugger's Tupperware in honor of the comic strip called Pluggers.