Author Topic: Advice on drilling a Western 74g top lock  (Read 109 times)

Offline Roody

Advice on drilling a Western 74g top lock
« on: October 09, 2019, 06:53:11 PM »
I felt like I was faced with no other choice but to drill out the top lock on a recent find. I assumed it is a 10G lock but I tried about 8 different 10G keys with no luck. It's a Gray/Western marked on the back 74G not a 174G that I am a little familiar with. I have been trying for days to get in there. So I did drill out quite a bit of the lock but some of the springs are still engaged. I do not want to damage any of the top section of the phone. Do I need to drill out enough of the cavity so that the bar drops on it's own or is there something I can to help accomplish that? I know I should have checked on this before I started but I was so darn frustrated!
Thanks,
Gary Z

Offline poplar1

• 1051-AL
Re: Advice on drilling a Western 74g top lock
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 07:34:54 PM »
Paul Vavarchek told me to use a large screwdriver to pry off a locked upper housing. You can also remove the 7 screws on the back of the phone, though 2 of them may be installed from inside.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Offline Roody

Re: Advice on drilling a Western 74g top lock
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 08:02:58 PM »
Whew. I got it off! I had it upside down and did do some careful and gentle prying and it popped off. The lock said Automatic Electric 10L. There was no damage to the phone. And a 1952 nickel popped out of there too.