News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

PTT24 Wallphone tidy up

Started by FABphones, October 31, 2019, 03:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I gave this French PTT24 wallphone a tidy up today. I wanted to see what results would be obtained from a cheap bargain bin polishing paste when used on Bakelite.

First, the complete phone exterior and handset received the usual anti-bac wipe over.

Anti-bac wipes were used to clean up the enamel numberplate, followed by Brasso on *0000 wire wool to remove the blobs of paint from the handset and around the outer rim of the phone.

*In my experience Brasso/0000 is fine on painted metal as the Brasso acts as a lubricant, but one needs to work gently in order not to remove the original painted surface as well as the unwanted emulsion/gloss.

The cheap polishing paste was used on the Bakelite parts, Black Turtle Wax on the painted metal body as I wanted to keep the original paint, then finally Autosol to shine up the silver.

(The last two screenshots show the same model phone - missing it's 'listener' - in the 1958 movie 'Mon Oncle').
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

Looks good, so you liked the "bargain polishing paste"?
I think there is a number of basic quality products available that all do a reasonable job. I have used "Elsterglanz" successfully on bakelite, nickel and factory painted objects. It was puchased at Lidl supermarkets for a bargain price, too.

david@london

A very nice French phone, looking better after your polishing work.....and that's a great scene from 'Mon Oncle'.
I'm a massive fan of Jacques Tati/Monsieur Hulot.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9lcgEe3-YE