Author Topic: 208 KTU's and 25 Pair Cable  (Read 281 times)

Offline Babybearjs

208 KTU's and 25 Pair Cable
« on: November 01, 2019, 05:05:41 AM »
well, I'm reintroducing the 208's into my system and am wiring up the harness using some 25 pair cable. I am unable to find any instructional paperwork on how to wire the units using 25 pair cable, so does anyone know how the wiring should go? are there any colors I should be using for power, etc? or am I on my own here and just wire it as I please? any suggestions would be helpful!
John

Offline Key2871

Re: 208 KTU's and 25 Pair Cable
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 05:38:12 AM »
I've not worked on those before. But I'm thinking you would start off with the blue-white then move on to the end of codes. But I'll try to remember to look up your KTUs a bit later, if no one beats me to it.
I had an ITT 501 with 207Bs in it, but not that I can recall 208s. There can't be that many terminals to require 25 pair, is there?
As for color code for the power, what do your others call for?
I would continue with those on the 208 for power too. Less confusion later. Or if you have solid colors such as yellow/black for AC and Red/green for DC.
KEN

Offline Babybearjs

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 04:23:33 PM »
Well, when I pulled out the unit from my shed, I had prewired the power and ICM line in... along with the lamp feed and Time-out Circuit. I used the first 4 colors to do that with.... blue for Battery A Orange for Battery B Green for the lamp feed and brown for the TO circuit. so when I did start to wire it last night, I started with the slate/White for the T/R for station #2 and went from there... got all the way through to Violet/Orange and started using the last 3 remaining pairs for my control leads. ran out of pairs and have to add a single 4 pair cable to finish the job.... all I have to do now is reorder the crimp spade terminals and finish terminating my wires. I have to add some angle irons to the frame to mount it to the backboard. the additional unit weighs about 50 pounds... UHG! what a pain! will keep you all posted as to the progress of this part of the system... I'm trying to document it too!
John

Offline Key2871

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 08:17:40 PM »
Well you can wire it anyway you want, just don't get yourself confused with all the different combinations or color.
For me, I start at the top work my way down.
Using the standard color code every time, so I know what's what, the only difference in this case would be a color coded system for wire bundles.
One color for each situation, but the same code for each.
To me it makes sense because if there was a problem, I can distinguish one section from another..
After doing and re doing my systems over the years, I figured this is the best for me anyway. It's easier to keep track of things when I need to trouble shoot.
KEN

Offline Babybearjs

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 12:35:40 AM »
Ken, that's basically how I did it. on my power supply, I used a 4 pair cable to run from my PS to the KTU cabinet. I assigned the blue pair for Battery A, orange for Battery B the green for the lighting circuit and the brown for the signaling circuit. I just followed that format to prewire the 208's. when I got the 25 pair cable attached, I followed what I had done and then continued.... the out going lines to the individual stations start with the slate pair.... I got the units all wired and was short 3 pairs.... have to add another 4 pair cable to the mix to finish the control circuits on the 207C. so much fun! I had the system in 2 years ago and everything worked then.... I'm hoping for a easy install.... will keep you posted!
John