Author Topic: New Drill (finally)  (Read 291 times)

Offline HarrySmith

• 1937 302
New Drill (finally)
« on: November 14, 2019, 12:20:19 PM »
I just had to purchase a new drill. I had a Makita which I thought was a good brand but it died. I don't understand why, it was only about 30 years old! Anyway, I picked up a nice Dewalt 20 volt brushless & cordless drill with 2 batteries. I have been looking at them but could not push myself to spend $159.00. I spotted it at Lowes on sale for $99.00! I signed up for Lowes online and got a veterans discount, ended up at $94.00!! Good buy in my book.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Offline countryman

Re: New Drill (finally)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 12:53:35 PM »
I guess you'll like that purchase! Li-ion batteries were a real step forward for cordless tools, especially for hobby (=irregular) use. Ni-Cd was always dead when you needed it, or died from overcharging.
I have a 8 year old Bosch and a 4 year old off-brand drill. Both batteries went weak last winter. I replaced the cells inside the packs, that went well and the new cells are stronger than the original ones ever were! Most any tool uses standard 18650 cells.

Offline HarrySmith

• 1937 302
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 01:30:00 PM »
Yeah, the old Makita was dead every time I picked it up for years now. Also once charged they did not last long either, that's why I started looking a little while back and chose this one. Last weekend the Makita quit completely so I had to get one and the timing for the sale was perfect!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Offline Key2871

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 02:41:31 PM »
Well you got your money's worth from your old drill.
And your new dewalt will last you a good long time too.
That was a fantastic deal. I've been using Ryobi for ten years now, and went from nicad to 'Ll-ion just three years ago, and they work great, I couldn't afford dewalt.
KEN

Offline LarryInMichigan

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 06:25:13 PM »
I signed up for Lowes online and got a veterans discount, ended up at $94.00!! Good buy in my book.

In the military, you probably had many drills :D.

Larry

Offline AT2796

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 09:15:16 PM »
I guess you'll like that purchase! Li-ion batteries were a real step forward for cordless tools, especially for hobby (=irregular) use. Ni-Cd was always dead when you needed it, or died from overcharging.
I have a 8 year old Bosch and a 4 year old off-brand drill. Both batteries went weak last winter. I replaced the cells inside the packs, that went well and the new cells are stronger than the original ones ever were! Most any tool uses standard 18650 cells.

Exactly right!
I have this drill, and cordless impact driver at work. Have had them for at least a year, even with irregular use the batteries are always ready. I use the impact more than the drill, to open/build splice cases. If the impact battery gets low, Iíll just pull the drill battery while the impact battery is charging. I just charged 1 battery yesterday, and honestly I canít remember the last time I charged batteries before that.
This drill/battery is in my letter to Santa!
I think you will be happy with your purchase!
Andy

Offline Key2871

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 09:42:04 AM »
 The impact driver are great, I just got one a couple weeks ago, glad I did. So much faster driving long screws or bolts.
Does it effortlessly.
KEN

Offline Butch Harlow

• Honeyboo-boo1255
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 10:07:25 AM »
DeWalt makes some nice stuff. I have been using Ryobi for a long time, mostly because it's always next to free on black friday and the Lithium ion batteries are as good as anyone's.  Then, the real deciding factor is that I really do not like yellow.
Butch Harlow

Offline Dan/Panther

• Global Moderator
  • Kaw-Liga, I will NEVER forget you. 8/4/98--9/20/10
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 01:24:22 PM »
Harry, did the drill motor fail or the battery no longer holds a charge.
If it's the battery, I don't think I've ever seen any rechargeable battery that lasted 30 years.
I have a corded model Makita that I have had for 30 years that is still running like new.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Offline HarrySmith

• 1937 302
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 07:03:37 PM »
Yeah, the motor finally died and the chuck was bad too. It had a hard life.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"