News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Polarity By-Pass... key...

Started by Babybearjs, December 26, 2019, 03:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

has anyone ever tried to add a key switch to a touch tone phone to "Lock" it out so its a answer only phone. using a key to change the polarity.
John

dsk

Not tested, but would it not be enough to short F and RR to block the dial?  Makes it easier to ad a simple switch. (with key)
dsk

Babybearjs

on a rotary dial that would work, as for a touch tone... would polarity reversal work? I know I had to reverse the wiring on my 2702 to get it to dial out... (Grn-Red to Red-Grn)
John

dsk

Right! newer touch tone sets are not depending on polarity.  For WE 500 to 2500 with polarity sensitive dial pads the polarity change will block the phone from dialing with the pad.  Yes! to change polarity you need a more complex switch than what you need to short F and RR.

Looking at the schematics for the 2500dm on the TCI library, it is enough to short F and RR.  If you want to have the blocking external from the phone, the polarity switch is an easy solution. You may use a 4-way wall switch  :)

Key2871

Polarity reversal would be sufficient, but just pulling a wire so it can't dial out plus just as effective. You could actually set the phones keys to select a particular line key to close the open on the dial so you can dial out.
Versus having a set that just can't dial out.
KEN