Author Topic: I guess I stirred the pot.  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Jim Stettler

• Global Moderator
I guess I stirred the pot.
« on: August 14, 2019, 07:33:22 PM »
Sorry if I upset folks.
The simple way to look at the discontent is:
The moderators volunteer  try to keep the forum on track, ( most of us ended up drafted, one way or another BTW).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Sorry if we don't tailor to your specific needs. I guess if you want something done your way, then you need to do it yourself.
Those of you that are discontented with the forum can chose not to participate. That is a lot simpler, than stirring up things because the GM's don't do things your way.
Every time Someone starts complaining  it requires a of work by the (burned out) moderators to combat the taint.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would prefer that you leave if you are not happy with this forum, that  makes it a lot easier on those who volunteer.
There has been more than 1 member that has threatened to start their own forum, that is a great idea as far as I am concerned.
Those of you that are fed up with this forum should volunteer to one of those  and make it into a greater forum than this one ever was.
Heck, I might even join and do my own complaining. I think I have earned that right.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Offline Ktownphoneco

Re: I guess I stirred the pot.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 07:50:40 PM »
No need to apologize Jim, your doing just fine.  You certainly have my support, and I'm quite sure you have the support of the vast majority of CRPF members.

Jeff Lamb
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:37:25 PM by Ktownphoneco »

Online Key2871

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 08:19:19 PM »
I'll second that..
KEN

Offline Jim Stettler

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 08:20:25 PM »
Thanks for the support,
The intent of my post was to get the discontented members to migrate to these new "better" forums.
Contented members of the forum strive to make it better vs tear it down and threatening to leave if we don't change it to their preferred format.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My opinion is for those who aren't happy with the forum, to please follow thru on your threat to leave.
We aren't planning on changing things to suit the  needs of those members, so now is the time to follow thru with the threat. Leave, follow thru with the threat to create a better forum, and all will flock to you and the idyllic promise of your management.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you aren't going to create a new forum then either leave or quit complaining.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Online Key2871

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 08:30:35 PM »
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink..
My thought is if someone thinks the grass is greener at another site, go for it.

I'm tired of the discontent, to put it in more friendly terms.
Time to move forward to a positive place. This is an enjoyable hobby and there's a lot to learn, and I'm looking forward to more enjoyable topics.
KEN

Offline Desert Phone Guy

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 10:32:22 PM »
I appreciate all the work involved in maintaining and operating the forum.  We, as collectors, are fortunate to have this resource.

The forum is free, you are free to join, and free to leave.

Play nice or play somewhere else.

Offline AT2796

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 10:53:43 PM »
I think you are all missing the point. In today’s world, the problem lies with authority. “It cant be my problem if you’re threatening me with being polite “.
Today’s internet IS a place to flex your virtual muscles without having to stand behind it.
It seems to me that all that have responded to the 2 threads recently, have an appreciation of this forum.
I only hope that they will continue to contribute, because I will continue to need everyone’s help.

Btw Jim, and Mods, you guys are the unappreciated. Thank you.

ETA
Sorry I just read the “other” other thread, so I’ll close with this un attributed quote,
  “An honest man, when mistaken and confronted with the truth, will either cease being mistaken or cease being honest”.

Again, thanks to the mods.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:02:39 PM by AT2796 »
Andy

Offline oldguy

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 11:14:02 PM »
I agree with the responses above. I think we have a great forum. I’m glad we have moderators & I think they do a great job. Before I retired it seemed like I always had a few whiners at the workplace. I always thought “if your not happy leave”. I feel the same way here. Thank you moderators.
Gary

Offline Dan/Panther

• Global Moderator
  • Kaw-Liga, I will NEVER forget you. 8/4/98--9/20/10
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 12:51:03 AM »
Jim;

I came along with this forum since day one, then you joined shortly thereafter in 2009.
In the past 11 years I doubt anyone would ever accuse ME of being rude, crude, or insulting.
Until recently. This forum has been a place that I daily enjoy coming to since the first day. For about 8 years it went smooth. Then some newer members acted uppity, rude, and some of the older members seemed to catch the same bug.
It is not hard to show reciprocal respect to anyone.  When that respect is not returned, I from years of experience can turn into a huge A** if need be. I found out years ago that holding my temper got me much further than not. But when recent events unfold, I can't help it, I just relapse. I don't like it, but I don't like bullies thinking my kindness is a sign of weakness. So as soon as it stops coming my way, I will reciprocate and stop sending it back.  I just want the forum that Mark and Dennis envisioned, not what it's becoming.
I plan to meet force with force until it stops, or I am told to stop.

Jim you are only voicing the feelings of those that still have control.

Anyone that can't understand these simple concepts, PLEASE go somewhere else.

Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Offline dsk

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 04:39:51 AM »
Jim;

I came along with this forum since day one, then you joined shortly thereafter in 2009.
In the past 11 years I doubt anyone would ever accuse ME of being rude, crude, or insulting.
Until recently. This forum has been a place that I daily enjoy coming to since the first day. For about 8 years it went smooth. Then some newer members acted uppity, rude, and some of the older members seemed to catch the same bug.
It is not hard to show reciprocal respect to anyone.  When that respect is not returned, I from years of experience can turn into a huge A** if need be. I found out years ago that holding my temper got me much further than not. But when recent events unfold, I can't help it, I just relapse. I don't like it, but I don't like bullies thinking my kindness is a sign of weakness. So as soon as it stops coming my way, I will reciprocate and stop sending it back.  I just want the forum that Mark and Dennis envisioned, not what it's becoming.
I plan to meet force with force until it stops, or I am told to stop.

Jim you are only voicing the feelings of those that still have control.

Anyone that can't understand these simple concepts, PLEASE go somewhere else.

Dan

I'll second that..

Offline 19and41

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 02:22:11 PM »
Each time I turn away from this forum, It seems there is another thread from someone either disconcerted or someone trying to oil the waters.  I have yet to see any reason for the complaints.  It would seem a natural transition for those who want to set up a new forum to do so.  This one has and does suit me just fine.  It has taught me a lot about this hobby and I have met some decent people here.  I have had moderators alter my posts on occasion and when I am concerned about it, I contact the moderator directly by PM and have been able to resolve any differences amicably and effectively.  I've had no reason to bring a dispute (there have been none) into the public portion of the site, nor would I until after all other means have been exhausted.  Things just seem to work better that way.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke