Author Topic: Panasonic KX-T61610 issues  (Read 187 times)

Offline Mark S

Panasonic KX-T61610 issues
« on: February 11, 2020, 01:26:44 PM »
I had my first unit which was a train wreck.  It had no door and not every modular extension port was working but all I wanted to do was use it as an intercom for four of my refurbished rotary phones.  It worked great for a few days then one day I had no dial tone.  I attempted a reset but no luck.  I powered on and off several times but got nothing.  My wife hated that it was old and yellow so I got a decent bid excepted on another.  All extension ports worked on this one, it had a door and it was white!  After several days, today I had no dial tone.  Same recovery procedures and no luck.  It's hanging on a wall, it's plugged into a surge protector and we have had no power outages.  My volts coming into the house read at 124V. I have no landline so it's strictly for intercom purposes.  I have not put a back up battery in it and I have no earth ground on the side of the unit.  My receptacle, however, is properly grounded and has been tested.  I'm not sure what's going on or if my luck just sucks.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Pourme

• One Ringy Dingy, Two Ringy Dingys...
  • Benny's Fatboy
Re: Panasonic KX-T61610 issues
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 02:22:02 PM »
~

Could just be the luck of the draw. I have a 308 and a 616 hooked together for about three years, no issues. (a occasional "ghost ring.?) These units are old with a lot of hours of service before we get them. I hope you didn't pay too much. They, when working properly, really make a "static" collection, come to life. My grand kids get a kick out of mine!
Benny

The Internet is a telephone system that's gotten uppity

Offline RB

• Love old phones
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 02:32:58 PM »
It is hard to believe 2 fail the same.
Unplug power,
Chk the power connector to the  board, if it has one???
then, remove all the phones, and let it sit for a day, and power it up.
plug in only one phone to any port and test.
you may have a bad phone, pullin it down??? just a guess

Offline Doug Rose

• Blondie & the Kid of Phone
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 02:56:54 PM »
I use my 616 in default with no programming. Itís been mine for over 20 years.

Question, are all your cables home runs from location to Panasonic? You only need 1 pair,  Green and red on old JK, or white blue blue white on CAT 3 and above. You second pair could have something on it, Light for door bell etc and it is shorting it. If the phones work and then donít something is shorting it with time, not immediately. Cable could have a Nick in insulation.

Plug the phones directly into the Panasonic and leave them there Take the cables out of the problem.

I just have a power strip that my 616 is plugged into. On my workbench, cover is off. It is yellowed. I use it as my tester and have another phone connected on my workbench.

I agree with RB, itís either a phone or cable shorting it out. I would power off, strap the battery in and power up.  Use a known good phone for a couple of days add another. Etc

Why not bring DT into it so the phones work. It is also another test, can you dial 9 1 and get DT.

Can you dial another ext even without intercom dial tone?
Kidphone

Offline Mark S

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 04:57:23 PM »
Thanks!  Doug from reading your past posts I know how dependable yours has been.  All of my lines are home runs with regular 4 conductor phone cable.  Two lines were original from an old landline and two are new that I just ran.  Its currently shut off.  I'll try the two that are not wallmounted first and hope that I get lucky.  When it stopped working there was no dial tone and dialing an extension did not work.  I'm hoping if it is shorted that no damage was done to the board, however.
Thanks,
Mark

Offline Doug Rose

• Blondie & the Kid of Phone
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 05:23:14 PM »
Mark...Power the 616 up and plug one into the 616 directly into the modular port. Try them all directly first and then try on one cable at a time. Leave them for the four days it usually goes bad.

Disconnect the second pair from the jacks. You will get this. Either a bad cable, phone or line cord into the phone.

Make sure the fuse in the 616 is not blown if you get no joy.

Hopefully your original 616 will sell to a Forum member....Doug
Kidphone

Offline Mark S

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 10:54:55 PM »
Thanks to all.  Whenever my back's to the wall I turn to you folks.  The unit powers on with indicator lights lit but no function.  I'll let it sit unplugged then trouble shoot with my Fatboy and 302 first.  That's how I checked it out of the box.  If all else fails I'll open it up and hope to find a blown fuse possibly.  I will check back.