Author Topic: Stromberg Carlson "Coffee Grinder" on eBay  (Read 844 times)

Offline Jack Ryan

Re: Stromberg Carlson "Coffee Grinder" on eBay
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 08:42:36 PM »
If poss, would you jot down here some of the things they spotted which led them to that. Am always keen to learn and I wouldn’t know what to look for on this.

I should have pointed out the transmitter - this reproduction has a flat transmitter, an original is not. The body is also "squarer" and the crank is wrong.

Also, if you look carefully, there is a button on the front of the base plate on the original but not on the reproduction.

I think there is no doubt that the phone offered on eBay is a reproduction and not a very good one at that. I have to admit that even though I had doubts early on, it took me a while to conclude that it was definitely a reproduction.

Regards
Jack

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 09:15:45 PM by Jack Ryan »

Offline FABphones

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 02:59:39 AM »
Thanks for the info and side by side photos. I spotted those differences straight away, good to have two photos like that to compare. The two look very different.

Thanks for helping me (us) learn more about this (and thanks for all your posts).

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
—-
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble
—-
‘You never realise how anti-social you are until there’s a pandemic and your life doesn’t really change that much’
—-
If I have seen further than others, it is because I am standing on a pile of failed experiments

Offline Jack Ryan

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 03:26:03 AM »
Thanks for helping me (us) learn more about this (and thanks for all your posts).

You are most welcome.

Regards
Jack

Online Duffy

• Duffy
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 05:45:52 AM »
If a buyer doesn't know what they are looking at, I guess these well used quotes fit.

"There's a sucker born every minute"
P. T. Barnum
1810-1891

"A fool and his money are soon parted."
Thomas Tusser
1524-1580