News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Workbench combustible fume hazards

Started by TelePlay, July 27, 2020, 08:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

ICYMI, this is why one must treat highly volatile, flammable materials, such as acetone and similar liquids, with respect, especially in warm area and in a closed space.

A good example of what happens when the evaporated fumes have mixed with just about the right amount of oxygen for complete combustion when meeting a spark. Why they say never put gas powered equipment in a basement near a furnace or water heater.

https://youtu.be/-fx_iuAn3LU

RB

Too funny.
I could watch that over and over...in fact, I did!!!!!!!lol,lol,lol, ;D ;D ;D

FABphones

Priceless.

Some of the comments well worth a read on this one too.

——-

Thanks for sharing.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

Sad violence scene, good education on hazardous materials...
Years ago 2 girls blew up their car by using hairspray inside, then lighting a cigarette. They remained relatively unharmed, unlike the car. They just did not need having their eyebrows shaped for a while.

twocvbloke

Seeing that video proves that karma exists, a rather dumb act for sure, both in torching the car and the way she gave herself a fire-shave...  :o

As for people inside the cars with aerosols, back in December, someone in the UK did that with air freshener, hosing their car down and then following that up with a cigarette, or at least that was his plan apparently!!!  ;D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-50810196

Key2871

Ok, so she dumps gasoline in the car... Then sticks her head inside the car to light the gas??
Holy crap that was totally stupid.
She's lucky she's not more injured by that dumb stunt.
Was it worth going to jail for??
I don't think so.
KEN

twocvbloke

Well, stupid people will do stupid things for stupid reasons...

RB

CanadianGuy

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

AT2796

Alright, I'll throw myself under the bus here.
Years ago when gasoline was creeping up on $5/gallon in CA,I was driving an '86 Toyota Landcruiser; 11MPG in neutral, downhill with a tailwind...
So I got the Idea to build a hydrogen generator.
Built a prototype with a plastic mayonnaise jar, I could feel gas coming from the output so I decided to put a flame to it to see a miniature torch.
Touched the flame to the output, next thing I know is that my ears were ringing, my pants and bench were soaked with H2o from the jar, the blue lid was in about 6 pieces, and the jar never moved!
About a second and a half later I had the good sense to be thankful that I didn't use a glass jar!
Andy

RB

You got that right Andy,
Glass would have given you a whole new outlook on life.
Glad it was minor! ;)

twocvbloke

When working with hydrogen generators, it's essential to have a way to prevent the flame going back up the pipework, something akin to the airlocks they use for brewing beer would be the easiest option, plus it's wise to keep the anode & cathode under separate collection vessels as having the O2 & H mixed as one gas, well, you know what happens, a very big, loud and highly destructive bang...  :o