"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

24 AWG Modular line cord

Started by markosjal, October 15, 2020, 04:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

Dealing with an AE / GTE Starlite with lighted dial. The diagram here:
https://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/automatic-electric-1/1874-ae-182a-starlite-ae182a-tl/file
specifies "22 American Wire Gague"

Since the Power is fed throught the modular line cord on the unit I have , how do  I get a 22 AWG Modular line cord?
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

RB

IMHO...
Since 1995, solid-conductor UTP cables for backbone cabling
is required to be no thicker than 22 American Wire Gauge (AWG)
and no thinner than 24 AWG, or 26 AWG for shorter-distance cabling.
There are thin versions of Cat5e, Cat6 and Cat6a cables. Commonly constructed of 28 AWG wire
That is what is being sold/used right now for net/phone cable type installations.
2 strand 22 g cable.
https://www.showmecables.com/2-conductor-22-awg-stranded-unshielded-pvc-gray-500-ft-west-penn-part-221?gclid=CjwKCAjw5p_8BRBUEiwAPpJO620-yV35fGb3b_ZnZz1SofM2TZZa39M7ZZurZdU8UqT024mvMRrAQRoCNvAQAvD_BwE
You are talkin about a line cord here.
unless you can find a cable shop to make you a custom cable,
you may have to split the line cables.
I do not know if a 22g RJ plug can be found???, Disclaimer here.
I do not know why the spec is for 22g, but I question the combination of com and power in such a small cable???
Albeit, you got 1 amp to work with.
Where are you gonna add the power to the line?

markosjal

This is for a Modular plug equipped AE Starlite where the Electroluminscent disc power is passed through the line cord. As indicated in the schematic it should be at least 22awg .

markosjal

MAybe this is why I remember that AE modular connectors always looked different from the others. Maybe they handled a larger wire gague?