Author Topic: US Mint Telephone $1 Coin  (Read 556 times)

Offline FABphones

• Global Moderator
Re: US Mint Telephone $1 Coin
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 01:27:37 PM »
I don’t need a whole roll but one would be nice to add to the collection.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
—-
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble
—-
‘You never realise how anti-social you are until there’s a pandemic and your life doesn’t really change that much’

Offline Jim Stettler

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 06:20:30 PM »
The are truly mint condition.
I may order some.
At work we buck-up $1 to take the birthday boy out to lunch. Some guys give out the $1 coins.
These would be fun to use for that purpose.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One guy used to give $1.00 coins for the birthday boy and  had pads of brand new $1 and $2 bills.
He would peel off a $2 bill for a tip and peel off singles at the register to pay his bill. He got some strange looks.

His wife worked for a bank and would bring him bundles of bills for pocket money, he took them to the print shop and had them turned into pads.
His pocket money was pads of  $1 or $2  bills and $1 coins.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Offline compubit

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 08:56:40 PM »
I’ve gotten the “this isn’t real money” for both the $1 coin and $2 bill...

Of course less cash is being used (COVID, coin shortage, youth not using cash...).

J
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Offline Jim Stettler

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 02:34:11 PM »
I’ve gotten the “this isn’t real money” for both the $1 coin and $2 bill...

I have gotten this isn't real money on the old $100.00 bills . Luckily they had an older employee that could verify that it was real.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Offline SunriseEarth

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 04:51:33 AM »
Looks like you can also get this as part of a proof set.  They'll also sell a proof on its own starting on 11/23/20.  I may need to get that one. 

https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-innovation-2020-1-reverse-proof-coin-massachusetts-20GF.html?cgid=american-innovation-1-coins
Tony Stokes

Member, TCI