Author Topic: What do I have?  (Read 187 times)

Offline Scott

What do I have?
« on: February 18, 2021, 02:44:05 PM »
I need some help from everyone to help figure out what I have here. This is the contents of one box of telephone things I received from a long time collector's estate last year. One story I have been told about this person is he took every telephone apart down to the last screw because he could store them better until he got around to fixing them. That seems fine except he passed on and nothing is labeled. So does any of this stuff go together? Is there anything worth trying to put together? I have many more boxes like this waiting to be gone through. Any help is appreciated because this is totally out of my league. Hope you have fun looking.
Stay safe everyone.

Scott K.

Offline Jim Stettler

• Global Moderator
Re: What do I have?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 03:04:39 PM »
 One story I have been told about this person is he took every telephone apart down to the last screw because he could store them better until he got around to fixing them. That seems fine except he passed on and nothing is labeled.

Scott K.
[/quote]
These are from the George Ek estate;
He didn't typically store each phone together,  He liked to store like with like ie: a box of 500 sets bases, a box of handsets ect.
the parts of 1 phone was sometimes in 5 boxes.

He also liked to do custom stuff on European desk phones. He had a machinist friend that would create older phone models for him from newer phones and created parts.

He created clear baseplates for his candlestick phones and had a long term project (30+ years)to create a clear Strowger 11 digit candlestick.

One thing  George always said  about his creations,
These are my phones, and I will do whatever I want to them that makes me happy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He was disassembling his storage phones for over 30 years. I think he did have a master  list of where he stored the various parts.
In this case a cross reference stored in each box would be handy.

I would try to match by color to see what you can figure out.
George liked a lot of European telephones and had an end result in mind when he had parts painted or created.
Good-Luck,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 03:29:33 PM »
Thank you Jim for the added info about Mr. Ek. He had a tremendous amount of unfinished projects in his home. I was also told that a lot had already been removed before I was able to see it. A world of information and history was lost when he passed. I would have like to have met him. I will never be able to try to assemble anything without a starting point. For starters can anyone identify one of the colored boxes? If so, I can track down some photos and start trying to find the parts. Thank you everyone. I'm sure there will be more photos at some point of other boxes.

Scott K.

Online RB

• Love old phones
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 08:00:19 PM »
Hi Scot.
"insert disclaimer here".
This is just my opinion.
With all due respect to our late friend.
What it looks like you have there, is a couple bell boxes but one lid.
enough parts to reassemble one or two bell units.
A couple nice lookin transmitters,
A voice coil?
And some inter mixed groups of what may have been a plan to have had some remade
according to which style was preferred.
and a few other groups placed together.
This box, from what was said earlier, looks like a left overs box if you will.'
most of the contents, do not fit together to make a phone. nor were they intended to.
But rather, would have been on a shelf, in many small boxes, in the parts room back in the day.
I would relax, and open a few more boxes, and I bet they will be easier to READ, if you will, what was intended there.
Don't be afraid to chk it out though, I don't think you can mess up anything that will not have a few extra parts to fix it.
The bell units will have mounting holes that either will, or will not align with the mounts on the red back plates.
same for the coil, if it is one.
The rest of those parts are for something else, I believe.
From what I can see there, and if you eventually find yourself up to your ??? in phone parts, I would like to talk to you about some of them.
Regards
Rod

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 08:10:18 PM »
Thank you Rod, I appreciate your opinion. You mentioned bell boxes. Do you have a guess as to a model I might be able to research? If there are any stampings they have been covered over by what I believe to be powder coating. Thank you for your response.

Regards,
Scott K.