Author Topic: What is this (intercom?) on Sam Spade's desk (Maltese Falcon)  (Read 210 times)

Offline Argee

What is this (intercom?) on Sam Spade's desk (Maltese Falcon)
« on: February 21, 2021, 04:11:39 PM »
I've been trying to ID this item for years.  He uses it in the movie like an intercom, and his secretary has one on her desk as well, but I've never found a match.  Its got a large selector knob on the face.  It also appears to have the word "TELEX" written on the back but that info hasn't led me to anything either.  Perhaps it could be a speakerphone or multiline unit that they are using as an intercom prop?  Anyway I'm hoping some just recognizes it, because I can't google any more.

Offline 5415551212

Re: What is this (intercom?) on Sam Spade's desk (Maltese Falcon)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 01:43:51 AM »
Its hard to make out, Can you post a better photo of it?

Offline Argee

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:13:23 AM »
This is the best I've got, there are some other angles, they are smaller and blurrier.  Wedge shape, selector knob on front, some kind of domed gizmo above the knob. 

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
    • . . . times keep changin'
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 01:39:58 PM »
Not sure about the phone but, as an aside bordering close to a tangential discussion, that radio in the lower right foreground looks like an RCA 26x-1 Chassis RC1014 AM/SW Radio, or some model similar that used the same chassis and housing.

My didn't get the back board with mine but looking at the radio in the Maltese Falcon image, the number of top ridges, the top side design and the antenna frame (showing through the opening at the top of the back board) match mine.

And the right front of the dial shows a gold box with the word "POLICE" over 170 (1700 KHz AM band) which would let Sam listen to police calls back then. The first image below shows that best.

Offline Witty

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 02:10:55 PM »
Teleplay,
That is really awesome!
The back plate screw locations even match perfectly. Id certainly get some pics from the movie to post with your display that show it.
What a nice find.
Ken

Offline Doug Rose

• Blondie & the Kid of Phone
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 03:01:01 PM »
I've been trying to ID this item for years.  He uses it in the movie like an intercom, and his secretary has one on her desk as well, but I've never found a match.  Its got a large selector knob on the face.  It also appears to have the word "TELEX" written on the back but that info hasn't led me to anything either.  Perhaps it could be a speakerphone or multiline unit that they are using as an intercom prop?  Anyway I'm hoping some just recognizes it, because I can't google any more.
Intercom! Now this is an Intercom!  ::)
Kidphone

Offline 5415551212

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 11:02:25 PM »
Hmmm thats interesting
Still hard to tell, somone on here will recognize it.