News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this (intercom?) on Sam Spade's desk (Maltese Falcon)

Started by Argee, February 21, 2021, 04:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argee

I've been trying to ID this item for years.  He uses it in the movie like an intercom, and his secretary has one on her desk as well, but I've never found a match.  Its got a large selector knob on the face.  It also appears to have the word "TELEX" written on the back but that info hasn't led me to anything either.  Perhaps it could be a speakerphone or multiline unit that they are using as an intercom prop?  Anyway I'm hoping some just recognizes it, because I can't google any more.

Argee

This is the best I've got, there are some other angles, they are smaller and blurrier.  Wedge shape, selector knob on front, some kind of domed gizmo above the knob. 

TelePlay

Not sure about the phone but, as an aside bordering close to a tangential discussion, that radio in the lower right foreground looks like an RCA 26x-1 Chassis RC1014 AM/SW Radio, or some model similar that used the same chassis and housing.

My didn't get the back board with mine but looking at the radio in the Maltese Falcon image, the number of top ridges, the top side design and the antenna frame (showing through the opening at the top of the back board) match mine.

And the right front of the dial shows a gold box with the word "POLICE" over 170 (1700 KHz AM band) which would let Sam listen to police calls back then. The first image below shows that best.

Witty

Teleplay,
That is really awesome!
The back plate screw locations even match perfectly. I'd certainly get some pics from the movie to post with your display that show it.
What a nice find.
Ken
Ken

Doug Rose

Quote from: Argee on February 21, 2021, 04:11:39 PM
I've been trying to ID this item for years.  He uses it in the movie like an intercom, and his secretary has one on her desk as well, but I've never found a match.  Its got a large selector knob on the face.  It also appears to have the word "TELEX" written on the back but that info hasn't led me to anything either.  Perhaps it could be a speakerphone or multiline unit that they are using as an intercom prop?  Anyway I'm hoping some just recognizes it, because I can't google any more.
Intercom! Now this is an Intercom!  ::)
Kidphone

Hmmm thats interesting
Still hard to tell, somone on here will recognize it.

Argee

Quote from: TelePlay on February 23, 2021, 01:39:58 PM

that radio in the lower right foreground looks like an RCA 26x-1 Chassis RC1014 AM/SW Radio, or some model similar that used the same chassis and housing.

And the right front of the dial shows a gold box with the word "POLICE" over 170 (1700 KHz AM band) which would let Sam listen to police calls back then. The first image below shows that best.

I pegged it as 15x, which also has a police band notation.  Though I can't remember if we ever get close enough to make out any details on the tuner glass. 

Looking at the second picture again, there's a large round knob attached to the left side.  I spotted it in another picture, so it's definitely part of it. 

david@london

Screenshot showing Sam Spade's radio....

Argee

So there's a guy on another forum working on a 3d model of Spade's office.  This is best he's come up with so far with regards to the intercom.

TelePlay

Quote from: david@london on February 25, 2021, 05:50:50 AM
Screenshot showing Sam Spade's radio....

Based on the dial plate, I would agree it is a RCA 15x but the images I found on the Radio Museum for the 15x did not show the "Police" emblem over 1700, actually, stops at 1600 kHz. The 15x was an AM only band radio, 26x was AM and Short Wave.

The only thing I noticed with the 15x images at the museum was that the antenna inside the back did not show the same as it does with the 26x or in the image of the back of his radio on his desk.

Argee

Quote from: TelePlay on February 25, 2021, 02:10:16 PM
Based on the dial plate, I would agree it is a RCA 15x but the images I found on the Radio Museum for the 15x did not show the "Police" emblem over 1700, actually, stops at 1600 kHz. The 15x was an AM only band radio, 26x was AM and Short Wave.

The only thing I noticed with the 15x images at the museum was that the antenna inside the back did not show the same as it does with the 26x or in the image of the back of his radio on his desk.

Later versions of the 15x went to 170, and the Backboard changed as well.  pictures from ebay, but I also own one. 

FABphones

Very nice radio.

Quote from: Argee on February 21, 2021, 04:11:39 PM
... appears to have the word "TELEX" written on the back...

I can't find that exact model, but Telex did put their name to intercom systems. Example page of User Instructions from another Telex intercom model below.

That style of knob is known as a Chickenhead...

...now all I have to do is find out who Sam Spade is.  ;D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

david@london

The Telex intercom is also referred to at this site, re. a CG model of the Spade-Archer office.
Looks like the contributors there are also perplexed by that intercom, Argee.

https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/maltese-falcon-spade-and-archer-office-cg.336362/

TelePlay

Quote from: david@london on February 25, 2021, 06:06:55 PM
Looks like the contributors there are also perplexed by that intercom, Argee.

And, it could have been made up by craftsmen in the prop room. Many things seen in movies are crafted for the director.

I can't find it but I did find a collector who called it the 15X radio with POLICE over the 170 on the dial plate. This is how he named his collection:

AE 34 Monophone
Manning Bowman carafe
Bostich no. 1 stapler
Sengbusch self closing inkwells
RCA Victor 15X radio
Sengbusch No. 320 glass pen and ink stand (on his secretary's desk)
And, of course, the Falcon

This collector also said "My white whale is the intercom system. You see them on both his and his secretary's desk, but I've never been able to ID it"