Author Topic: New Member Here  (Read 4075 times)

Offline McHeath

Re: New Member Here
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 12:56:00 AM »
Welcome!

Personally, it amazes me how many people are into phones who have never worked in the business. I guess I shouldn't find it so surprising as my phone collection was already under way before I went to work for the Telco here but it still seems to me like a hobby that would be mostly Telco employees.

I get that reaction often when I'm asking if they have any old rotary phones in the shop or yard sale.  Many is the person who asks if I worked for, or currently work for, the phone company and they often seem puzzled when I say no but that I just like old phones. 

Offline Dan/Panther

• Global Moderator
  • Kaw-Liga, I will NEVER forget you. 8/4/98--9/20/10
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 01:38:47 AM »
I find myself doing exactly what I did for a living after I retired, just now I apply it to my personal interests. At first I couldn't connect the two, that former Telco employees would be more likely to collect phones, I just couldn't apply that to my Job at General Motors, we made automotive batteries, Yet I don't collect them, but what I did for GM, mechanical things, is very much a part of my life now.
So I guess indirectly it is the same.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Offline rp2813

• 10/50
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 11:36:14 AM »
D/P, I worked in the Bay Area for the duration.  I had some stints in So. Cal but they were brief.   I don't know why, but I just presumed you were in GTE/Verizon territory.  Maybe that's now and not then?

I was into old phones way before I was out of high school, and I didn't start working for Pacific Bell until I was 36.  If anything, I think the reverse of what many people think is true--telco workers are probably less likely to be collectors.
Ralph

Offline mienaichizu

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 11:57:01 AM »
welcome don!

Offline bwanna

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 08:31:05 PM »
you may be right, ralph. i know a lot of telephone, guys. other than myself & my SO, i only know of one other guy that collects. recently a co-worker told me he just threw away a bunch of old phones out of his grandpa's house :o >:( :'( :'( :'( :'(
donna

Offline JorgeAmely

• SC from 1973
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 09:57:17 PM »
Knock, knock .... Don, are you there?  ??? ??? ???
Jorge

Offline AE_Collector

• Global Moderator
  • AE 2 - AECo's 1st Self Contained Desk Phone 1925
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 11:26:11 PM »
you may be right, ralph. i know a lot of telephone, guys. other than myself & my SO, i only know of one other guy that collects. recently a co-worker told me he just threw away a bunch of old phones out of his grandpa's house :o >:( :'( :'( :'( :'(

While most of the guys I work with at the Telco may not be collectors/restorers of telephones, most of the guys that have been around for 30 years or so all say "I've got a few old sets somewhere, a 40 & a 50 and a few colored 80's etc". So most of them hung onto a few old phones that they took out just in case they got interested in them down the road. A guy today said he just gave away a 40 and a 50 to another employee that was looking for some old phones.

That reminds me, I saw a guy who retired a few years ago and he told me to call him as he had a box of phones that he would never do anything with. Better get on that soon.....

Terry
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:27:52 PM by ae_collector »

Offline JorgeAmely

• SC from 1973
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 11:39:37 PM »
Terry:

If you don't call him, I will call him for you.

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 11:58:01 AM by JorgeAmely »
Jorge

Offline AE_Collector

• Global Moderator
  • AE 2 - AECo's 1st Self Contained Desk Phone 1925
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 01:00:13 AM »
Terry:

If don't call him, I will call him for you.

;D ;D ;D

I better go hide my little telephone book right now.... Otherwise you'll have him on D/P's conference call!

Terry

Offline Bill Cahill

• My Edison B Standard
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 04:45:08 AM »
Welcome, Don.
Don is also a valured member at ARF, Antique Radio Forums.
He collectsHH Scott amplifiers as well. He is very knowledgable.
Glad you jerned us, Don!
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Offline Brinybay

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 01:52:43 PM »
Personally, it amazes me how many people are into phones who have never worked in the business.

Terry (in Vancouver Canada)

I not only never worked in the business, I don't even know anything about electronics.  It's an off-shoot of my interest in vintage artifacts and antiques.  They're relatively easy to work on with a minimal amount of space, you can use commonly available cleaning supplies and equipment (like lots of "elbow grease"), there's a wealth of information easily available, a wide variety of styles, models, and prices, and they're not difficult to find, but still scarce enough to make the hunt interesting.

Oh, and welcome to the group Don!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:23:56 AM by Brinybay »
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
 - Mike Row
e

Offline Chewbacca

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 02:03:18 AM »
Welcome to the group

Offline Brinybay

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 02:25:48 AM »
Welcome to the group

And welcome to Chewbacca!  Question is, does he?  (Just kidding!)
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
 - Mike Row
e

Offline Dan/Panther

• Global Moderator
  • Kaw-Liga, I will NEVER forget you. 8/4/98--9/20/10
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 05:33:44 PM »
Chrewbacca;
Welcome to our forum.  Are you a collector, if can you tell us what you collect, or what you woulds like to collect.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Offline rdelius

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 08:12:26 PM »
Hello, my name is Robby. I have been collecting telephones since 1972. I worked for Richard Marsh at the Chicago Old telephone co for 25 years. I mostly rebuilt dials, wired telephones and repaired bakelite. Not a member of the telephone collecting clubs now