News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

North telephone with Party Line button.

Started by HowardPgh, May 24, 2021, 03:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowardPgh

I have a North "Galion" phone that has a little pushbutton to hold the buttons halfway up to monitor the party line to see if it's in use.  The wiring is somewhat different than the standard North phone.
Does someone have a clear diagram schematic with an AE dial?
I got one diagram from Vern, but it shows a WE dial. (thanks Vern)
Howard

HowardPgh

Thanks to Witty I got a diagram for my Partyline North.
The only thing I didn't have was the .1 mfd condenser that is used in the monitor circuit before the button releases the hookswitch. I was able to test the phone and it actually works except that I just used a wire instead of the condenser.  I miss Radio Shack where I could walk in an buy a 1 mfd 400 volt capacitor nd not pay shipping for a $1.00 part.
Howard

RDPipes

Quote from: HowardPgh on December 12, 2022, 04:19:38 PMThanks to Witty I got a diagram for my Partyline North.
The only thing I didn't have was the .1 mfd condenser that is used in the monitor circuit before the button releases the hookswitch. I was able to test the phone and it actually works except that I just used a wire instead of the condenser.  I miss Radio Shack where I could walk in an buy a 1 mfd 400 volt capacitor nd not pay shipping for a $1.00 part.
I understand your woe, I live 30 or more miles from most everything and the only thing I don't pay shipping on is my groceries. Once upon a time I lived minutes away from a electronic store and endless others. Sadly I wish for city life once more, it was quitter (believe it or not) and many things were closer and I was younger, LOL!

Contempra

Quote from: HowardPgh on December 12, 2022, 04:19:38 PMI miss Radio Shack where I could walk in an buy a 1 mfd 400 volt capacitor nd not pay shipping for a $1.00 part.

Radio Shack changed its name here in Quebec a few decades ago and goes by the name 'La source'

RDPipes

Quote from: Contempra on December 12, 2022, 08:49:55 PMRadio Shack changed its name here in Quebec a few decades ago and goes by the name 'La source'

Here in the states I believe it's called Tandy now and I'm not even sure there around anymore..
I haven't seen one since I was a young man. Of course that's only been a few years, LOL!

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RDPipes

HarrySmith

It does not look like the same place I used to go to. I clicked on the tab for diodes & rectifiers, it came up with 1 Zener! At least the resistor tab had a few more choices.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Contempra

Quote from: RDPipes on December 13, 2022, 05:20:27 AMHere in the states I believe it's called Tandy now and I'm not even sure there around anymore..
I haven't seen one since I was a young man. Of course that's only been a few years, LOL!

I actually saw this on the web ( TANDY ) . On the other hand, if I'm looking for a phone, Radio Shack only has one phone for sale and I've had it for a few years ( Found it in a garage sale ) . Since Amazon came online, Radio Shack has dropped quite a bit I guess. I may be wrong too .

RDPipes

Quote from: Contempra on December 14, 2022, 09:12:50 AMI actually saw this on the web ( TANDY ) . On the other hand, if I'm looking for a phone, Radio Shack only has one phone for sale and I've had it for a few years ( Found it in a garage sale ) . Since Amazon came online, Radio Shack has dropped quite a bit I guess. I may be wrong too .
I found this on the web, I reckon I had it backwards.
"Tandy Corporation was an American family-owned leather goods company based in Fort Worth, ... Tandy Corporation name was dropped and the entity became the RadioShack"

TelePlay

Quote from: RDPipes on December 14, 2022, 01:02:50 PM"Tandy Corporation was an American family-owned leather goods company based in Fort Worth, ... Tandy Corporation name was dropped and the entity became the RadioShack"

But Tandy Leather Stores still exist, have one about 20 miles from my home.

https://tandyleather.com/

Seems to have been two distinct operations, Tandy bought Radio Shack (was Tandy Radio Shack for many years), then became Radio Shack (why was Tandy dropped, because maybe they split, RS was bought by someone else?) and then Radio Shack went out of business leaving Tandy Leather still in business today.

I had a Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80 computer back in the day, the 80s - "The TRS-80 Micro Computer System is a desktop microcomputer launched in 1977 and sold by Tandy Corporation through their Radio Shack stores."

Really confusing and I don't have the time or interest to do a deep dive on the history of the two brand names or operations.

RDPipes

Quote from: TelePlay on December 14, 2022, 01:17:20 PMBut Tandy Leather Stores still exist, have one about 20 miles from my home.

https://tandyleather.com/

Seems to have been two distinct operations, Tandy bought Radio Shack (was Tandy Radio Shack for many years), then became Radio Shack (why was Tandy dropped, because maybe they split, RS was bought by someone else?) and then Radio Shack went out of business leaving Tandy Leather still in business today.

I had a Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80 computer back in the day, the 80s - "The TRS-80 Micro Computer System is a desktop microcomputer launched in 1977 and sold by Tandy Corporation through their Radio Shack stores."

Really confusing and I don't have the time or interest to do a deep dive on the history of the two brand names or operations.
It's been so long since I lived in a city of any size that I'm unsure if anything I was use to seeing as a young man still exists.