Author Topic: The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation  (Read 160795 times)

Offline gpo706

Re: The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation
« Reply #435 on: November 23, 2012, 05:20:43 PM »
Music video for a change:

The Lovely Eggs -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mYyYqhxxHYY

Quite a selection, the first one is a real surprise, here's a wee contest for anyone who wants to list them all?

(Forwarded to me by my long-suffering brother).
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Offline twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
« Reply #436 on: November 24, 2012, 07:03:33 AM »
Not listing repeat appearances, I see:

1 - NE/GEC Contempra
2 - GPO 766 Trimphone
3 - GPO 704/TMC 1705
4 - GPO 710 w/No. 12 dial
5 - one sat on the bar - too modern for me, pass
6 - green thing at the hairdressers - Dawn perhaps?  ???
7 - Yellow (faded ivory?) & black GPO 711
8 - British Telecom Sceptre
9 - Hoover Ranger, oh, wait, that's a vacuum...  :D

;D

Offline George Knighton

« Reply #437 on: December 15, 2012, 08:32:33 AM »
Watching "Miracle on 34th Street" tonight,  I counted several D-mounts with both E and F handsets as well as two or three 302s.

Since it's the holiday season and all the classic old movies are back around, might be fun to report classic phone spottings in those old films.

Office scenes in "Miracle" showed multiple D-mounts on a single desk - I guess Macy's didn't pop for multi-line phones.

It's that Time of Year again, when they're showing the original Miracle on 34th St.  :-)

I liked seeing all the shots of 302's and what I suppose were 202's.
Annoying new poster.

Offline poplar1

• 102C-6 = "Old Brass" Hand Telephone Set
« Reply #438 on: December 15, 2012, 01:08:52 PM »
In Miracle on 34th Street, Mr. Macy has two 202s on his desk: one with an E-1 handset and one with an F-1. Could have been two lines. In the old films there are often two phones rather than one multi-line set or one set that could be switched between lines.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Online AE_Collector

• Global Moderator
  • AE 2 - AECo's 1st Self Contained Desk Phone 1925
« Reply #439 on: December 15, 2012, 02:03:51 PM »
Of course you can only really talk to one person at a time and way back then the companies switchboard operator was the one who did all the switching for you. She might even dial your outside calls for you or at minimum she would put through your Long Distance calls and then calling you back when the other party was on the line.

Having multiline phones on your desk is sort of the more modern "Do it Yourself" equivilent of the switchboard operator.

That's how I see it at least.

Terry
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:21:23 PM by AE_Collector »

Offline Dialvintage

« Reply #440 on: December 21, 2012, 08:11:27 AM »
I do the same thing with phones and radios, too.  Some of the best "phone watching" movies are Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movies from the 1930s.  They're filled with great telephones, mainly AE and Kellogg, and they're usually colored. 

I was watching a movie a while back (I think it was The Mad Miss Manton) that showed a Kellogg Masterphone (the oval manual one) that was chrome plated.  Really beautiful.  Miss Manton had an ivory D1/E1 202 in her apartment.

I'm getting like it too! There are some Astaire films on BBC iplayer- must watch them- love his films and old phones are a bonus! It was watching Heartbeat a series set in 1960s Yorkshire that made me buy my 1960s GPO phone.

Offline Dialvintage

« Reply #441 on: December 21, 2012, 08:15:31 AM »
We watch a fair amount of British TV, especially murder mysteries and such, most of it new production shows, and I'm often seeing old rotary GPO 700s in scenes set in old homes or shops.  Maybe they are still in common enough use to be that obvious, or maybe the set directors are adding them to get atmosphere. 

They are not that common in use that I've seen- besides my friends having one ( but no phone line) I'm the only one that has one. However there are plenty of GPO phones on ebay and they are snapped up right away so they must be getting popular again!

Offline twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
« Reply #442 on: January 06, 2013, 05:46:29 PM »
Thought this thread could do with some additional pictures... :D

Screenshots are from Star Trek; The Original Series, episode "Assignment: Earth", which features Gary Seven, the spinoff that never happened, five phones I could get a good shot of, there's some others in the episode, but they'd probably be more visible in the remastered version of Star Trek... :)

And the red 500 was the "Get me the president!!!" phone... :D

Offline WesternElectricBen

« Reply #443 on: January 06, 2013, 06:24:24 PM »
Oh gosh, I never go to the movies for the plot, I go for the phones! lol
Ben

Offline Brinybay

« Reply #444 on: January 07, 2013, 03:12:25 PM »
Assignment Earth was one of my favorite episodes, since the plot took them back in time to the time that was current when it aired, late 60s.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Rowe

Offline twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
« Reply #445 on: January 07, 2013, 03:31:26 PM »
Assignment Earth was one of my favorite episodes, since the plot took them back in time to the time that was current when it aired, late 60s.

Aired 29th March, 1968, according to IMDB... :)

It's a shame that the TV series of Assignment Earth never materialised, but, Paramount at the time were close to dropping what became quite the franchise for them, as they only commissioned one more series of Star Trek before they canned it, but when it comes to TV execs, they're not exactly the brightest people out there... :D

Offline Adam

• Manufacture Discontinued
« Reply #446 on: January 07, 2013, 07:04:34 PM »
In the movie in current limited release, Hyde Park on Hudson, about FDR, there are what appear to be a Western Electric black 202 and a RED 302 on his desk in his Hyde Park office.  (The whole movie takes place there, the White House is never shown.)

These two pics are from the trailer, from what I recall, you never see the phones in the actual film really any better than this.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:06:06 PM by Adam »
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Offline Dialvintage

« Reply #447 on: January 08, 2013, 06:41:17 PM »

Yes it's great! Haven't seen it in ages- forgot about all those phones in it! Funny to think some of our late 1990s mobile phones looked a bit like the communicators. But even those looking dated now. Mobile phones are looking more and more like mini computers.
However, rotary dial phones are my fave!

Offline poplar1

• 102C-6 = "Old Brass" Hand Telephone Set
« Reply #448 on: January 08, 2013, 06:45:59 PM »
In the movie in current limited release, Hyde Park on Hudson, about FDR, there are what appear to be a Western Electric black 202 and a RED 302 on his desk in his Hyde Park office.  (The whole movie takes place there, the White House is never shown.)

These two pics are from the trailer, from what I recall, you never see the phones in the actual film really any better than this.

Those aren't WE phones. Maybe the color one is a Stromberg-Carlson 1243?

Not sure what company served Hyde Park, NY.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Offline HowardPgh

« Reply #449 on: January 09, 2013, 09:48:15 AM »
Red one looks to be a SC 1243 or the older version (1222?).
Howard