Author Topic: The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation  (Read 161582 times)

Online twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
Re: The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation
« Reply #510 on: April 06, 2014, 09:47:20 PM »
Spotted a couple more phones in Star Trek IV, in the antiques store where Kirk and Spock visit to sell Kirks damaged reading glasses, the phones are behind the counter on the bottom shelf, they appear to mostly be AE phones... ;D

Offline Scotophor

• Neo-Luddite
  • I have telephonesis!
« Reply #511 on: April 07, 2014, 01:59:38 AM »
Sorry, no pictures here (maybe someone can help out): I just saw an episode of McCloud entitled "The Return of Butch Cassidy". In a small hotel, there was a cordboard behind the counter. McCloud wanted to use the house phone to make a call, so the manager handed the phone (nothing special there, probably a black 500-style) across the counter, then actually reached back and plugged in an outside line. In other scenes, two women in different locations used dark gray 500-style phones (probably a re-use of the same prop).
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

Offline Brinybay

« Reply #512 on: April 10, 2014, 11:32:32 PM »
I saw part of this movie on Canadian television on a recent trip to Vancouver Island and liked it so I bought a copy of it on DVD from Amazon.  "The Racket" was an academy award winner in 1928. More sticks in the movie than you can ... well, shake a stick at!  The stick on the "old man's" (Godfather?) desk had an interesting gizmo attached.  I think it's an accessory designed to make calls more private.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:34:52 PM by Brinybay »
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Rowe

Offline Brinybay

« Reply #513 on: April 10, 2014, 11:43:16 PM »
The next shot after the "Godfather" talks into the stick phone gizmo is him reaching down to what I think is a Dictograph and pushes one of the toggle switches down.  Also a closer view of Capt. McQuigg's stick.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:34:30 PM by Brinybay »
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Rowe

Offline Scotophor

• Neo-Luddite
  • I have telephonesis!
« Reply #514 on: April 11, 2014, 02:14:22 AM »
That Dictograph-like device is interesting. Would it record on wax cylinders, or wire?
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

Offline Brinybay

« Reply #515 on: April 11, 2014, 11:55:13 AM »
That Dictograph-like device is interesting. Would it record on wax cylinders, or wire?

Not sure what exactly that is.  With all those levers, I don't think it's a recording device.  I went back and looked at the scene again but it doesn't give any indication of what happens after he flipped the switch.  He picked something up in his left hand before he flipped the switch (Capture 9), but can't see what it is.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:57:42 AM by Brinybay »
- Mike Rowe

Offline Adam

• Manufacture Discontinued
« Reply #516 on: April 11, 2014, 12:17:46 PM »
Brinybay, I'm pretty sure it's a dictation console.  He's probably picking up a handset-like device that is a transmitter (mike) on a handle.  The handle may include remote control functions like pause, rewind, etc.  The lever switches control which of the recorders for each of the multiple secretaries in the facility that the user wants the dictation to be routed to.

With all those levers, it *could* be the station selector console for an internal office intercom system, but to my eyes, the two larger circular devices (whatever they are, can't tell from the pic) make the intercom possibility look less likely. And besides, an intercom system probably wouldn't be hidden in a drawer like that.

But, that's just my educated guess.

And yes, I believe in those years, dictation devices would have used wax cylinders or wax discs.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:23:11 PM by Adam »
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Offline Brinybay

« Reply #517 on: April 11, 2014, 03:03:05 PM »
Brinybay, I'm pretty sure it's a dictation console.  He's probably picking up a handset-like device that is a transmitter (mike) on a handle.  The handle may include remote control functions like pause, rewind, etc.  The lever switches control which of the recorders for each of the multiple secretaries in the facility that the user wants the dictation to be routed to.

With all those levers, it *could* be the station selector console for an internal office intercom system, but to my eyes, the two larger circular devices (whatever they are, can't tell from the pic) make the intercom possibility look less likely. And besides, an intercom system probably wouldn't be hidden in a drawer like that.

But, that's just my educated guess.

And yes, I believe in those years, dictation devices would have used wax cylinders or wax discs.

It makes sense to me.
- Mike Rowe

Offline Brinybay

« Reply #518 on: April 11, 2014, 03:40:08 PM »
Couple of payphones in the same movie.
- Mike Rowe

Offline Sargeguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #519 on: April 11, 2014, 08:29:29 PM »
That transmitter gizmo is a "Hush-a-Phone".  There is are two WE scissor phones, one a drawn perch and the other a  solid perch type with thumbscrew in "Capture4"
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:33:23 PM by Sargeguy »
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Offline Adam

• Manufacture Discontinued
« Reply #520 on: April 16, 2014, 03:03:46 AM »
Mystery solved.  Console in drawer with lever switches is a Dictograph office intercom.  Found this out on the net.

http://www.museumoftechnology.org.uk/expand.php?key=243
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Offline BDM

• 313-TUxedo 6-4281
« Reply #521 on: April 29, 2014, 04:00:36 PM »
Just an interesting little tid-bit in a movie I saw the other day. Anyone remember the movie thriller "You'll Like My Mother" from 1972 with Patty Duke and Richard Thomas?(in this movie, a cross between John Boy and Michael Meyers :) ). Anyhow she (Patty Duke) finds an old 500 set in the attic of the mansion with a 4 pronger. She finds a jack plugs it in, and then dials. It tickles the ringer on a 354 wall set down in the kitchen. Of course alerting Richard someones using a phone. Kind of a technical tib-bit for a movie.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 06:27:04 PM by BDM »

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Offline rp2813

• 10/50
« Reply #522 on: May 13, 2014, 12:17:05 AM »
During last night's episode of "Mad Men" I think I spotted the first non-WECO phone since the show began.   It's in Megan's Laurel Canyon home.  An AE in an unappealing shade of mint green.  They even dubbed in the sound of an AE ringer.

It had me wondering if anybody on the "Mad Men" team thought Laurel Canyon was outside Pacific Telephone territory (it's at least fairly close to today's Verizon border, I know that much) and was going for premises equipment correctness, but then I saw the black 554 on the wall in the kitchen and I knew that wasn't the case.

I would have been highly impressed if it had been an AE wall model, even more so if it wasn't a black one.

Ralph

Offline paul-f

• Old Telephones as Entertainment!
« Reply #523 on: May 29, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »
1938 - You Can't Take It With You

Watch Jean Arthur answer a D1 with E1 handset with NO HANDS!

If you can't wait to find the whole film, the sequence is in this YouTube clip:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF_BoAPqvTo&list=PL16C180583B19BF51
Visit: paul-f.com         WE 500  Design_Line

Offline Brinybay

« Reply #524 on: May 30, 2014, 02:57:35 PM »
"Alibi" (1929) screen captures.  It was a little hard to get, but I managed to get a screen capture at just the right angle to see a clear glass mouthpiece on the stick in the nightclub office.  Also an exchange manned exclusively by police.

Found a short clip from the same scene with the same phone and got a couple of captures from it.  I'm a little miffed that the Youtube clips are much sharper than the DVD I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXFluStyyas
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 03:10:42 PM by Brinybay »
- Mike Rowe