Author Topic: The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation  (Read 161204 times)

Offline NorthernElectric

Re: The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation
« Reply #615 on: August 22, 2015, 03:32:09 PM »
I watched The Bourne Legacy last night and spotted this cool interphone that female lead Rachel Weisz used to communicate with CIA operatives at the front gate to her property.  Anybody recognize it?

European, probably Siemens&Halske, handset.

Thanks.  I did a search for Siemens on eBay and came up with some similar ones here.
Cliff

Offline unbeldi

• opus in senio
« Reply #616 on: August 22, 2015, 04:24:48 PM »
I watched The Bourne Legacy last night and spotted this cool interphone that female lead Rachel Weisz used to communicate with CIA operatives at the front gate to her property.  Anybody recognize it?

European, probably Siemens&Halske, handset.

Thanks.  I did a search for Siemens on eBay and came up with some similar ones here.

Yep. You found them.

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #617 on: August 22, 2015, 09:42:53 PM »
Wasn't there a phone in the Batcar as well?

Yes

Yes, yes . . .  and yes, that is the one and only Milwaukee's own Liberace in that episode! You have to be over 50 to know who that is, in most cases.
            John . . .

Offline 19and41

« Reply #618 on: November 02, 2015, 02:13:45 PM »
Seeing the linemans' handset just posted,  I remembered one that figured prominently in a television program from my youth...  I did a search for mention of it, but could not find any mention.

http://nukethefridge.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Green-Acres2.jpg
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Duffy

« Reply #619 on: November 03, 2015, 04:59:02 AM »
Seeing the linemans' handset just posted,  I remembered one that figured prominently in a television program from my youth...  I did a search for mention of it, but could not find any mention.

http://nukethefridge.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Green-Acres2.jpg

I remember watching that show as well.

https://youtu.be/WfDnW2KlflE
CDN Doug

Offline 19and41

« Reply #620 on: November 03, 2015, 06:16:26 AM »
They used to say television was the box they buried vaudeville in.  Green Acres was the vaudeville they buried in it.   ;D
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline andre_janew

« Reply #621 on: November 03, 2015, 11:01:47 AM »
I believe that both Green Acres and Batman are now on METV. 

Offline 19and41

« Reply #622 on: November 05, 2015, 02:07:15 PM »
Seeing the thread on the busted green phone made me wonder how many drops it would take to knock a chunk out of the phones' housing.  Then I thought of the film Detour and how a phone figured prominently in the main characters' downfall.  The main character not being the one being used as a cord reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr0iCcpRKoE
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #623 on: November 05, 2015, 06:23:29 PM »
. . . Then I thought of the film Detour and how a phone figured prominently in the main characters' downfall.  The main character not being the one being used as a cord reel.

Isadora Duncan syndrome (circa 1927).

Hey, what happened to the number card holder?
            John . . .

Offline 19and41

« Reply #624 on: November 05, 2015, 08:40:33 PM »
She must've had an unpublished number.  That movie is a good one if you've not seen it.
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline jsowers

« Reply #625 on: November 05, 2015, 08:51:48 PM »
Tonight at midnight, GetTV is showing In a Lonely Place with Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame and they live in courtyard apartments that have early 302s in them, even though the movie was made in 1950. I found a still of them on the set with one of the phones in plain sight. Odd to say the least that they would use such old phones, but they did. The movie is pretty good if you can catch it. The other man in the picture is the director, Nicholas Ray.
Jonathan

Offline WEBellSystemChristian

• Grandpa's 1955 Western Electric 500
« Reply #626 on: November 05, 2015, 09:18:15 PM »
Tonight at midnight, GetTV is showing In a Lonely Place with Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame and they live in courtyard apartments that have early 302s in them, even though the movie was made in 1950. I found a still of them on the set with one of the phones in plain sight. Odd to say the least that they would use such old phones, but they did. The movie is pretty good if you can catch it. The other man in the picture is the director, Nicholas Ray.
It almost looks like that 302 may have been painted in a specialty color. Notice the color of black in other places of the picture, but this looks lighter shaded, although it may just a reflection from the camera flash.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:06:21 PM by WEBellSystemChristian »
Christian

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Offline unbeldi

• opus in senio
« Reply #627 on: November 05, 2015, 09:48:26 PM »

302s were still refurbished routinely at that time, and they could get an E1 handset instead of F1. 500 sets weren't really available in large quantities until 1951.  I think less than 200,000 were made in 1950, which is a drop in the bucket compared to the tens of millions of installed 302s and older sets.

Offline andre_janew

« Reply #628 on: November 06, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »
The movie may have been made in 1950, however, the story may have taken place earlier than that.  That is probably another reason early 302s were used.

Offline jsowers

« Reply #629 on: November 06, 2015, 12:07:13 PM »
It was set in present-day 1950. Bogey drove a 1949 or 50 Mercury convertible. The apartment complex had a hacienda theme and the phones and decor could have been used to make it look lived-in and pre-war. It's hard to know what they were thinking in 1950. Other places had 202s or Kellogg Redbars. I don't want to give away the ending, but the phone plays a prominent part in how the movie turns out.

Christian, you have a really good eye. Yes, those phones were painted some color. I don't know what color because it was in black and white, but when I looked at some of the movie last night it was plainly obvious that the phones were painted a dark. matte color. The handsets and housings were very dull.

I first thought from the picture that maybe the phones were sprayed with a non-glare coating so they didn't reflect the studio lights, but it was more than that. They were something like dark green or dark red or maybe brown. Like Christian says, they were lighter than the black items like Bogey's suit (in another scene) or Nick Ray's shirt.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:09:55 PM by jsowers »
Jonathan