Author Topic: The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation  (Read 161535 times)

Online Ktownphoneco

Re: The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation
« Reply #645 on: January 31, 2016, 11:33:59 AM »
Jim   ...   No, that's not what I meant.     I guess I misunderstood your question.      I thought you were asking if they were common over here in North America during that time period, and yes they were.    Were they common in the UK ?    I have no idea, but I rather doubt it.     
I agree with 19&41, it was probably the result of the props department inserting any dial set available, assuming people are watching the actors, not what's on the desk.

Jeff Lamb

Offline Jim S.

« Reply #646 on: January 31, 2016, 01:05:33 PM »
I have noticed a lot of phones on the history channel are "way" wrong. Many times they are design-line type phones. I don't think they have a very large selection of phones in the prop room.  Some movies  make an attempt to used the "proper" phone for the movie. There are several collectors who rent props to movie houses. These are typically the more accurate phones.

I have also seen an american car insurance ad (State Farm?) that uses an ericcson dial desk phone used as a wall phone.

I try not to let it bug me.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Online Ktownphoneco

« Reply #647 on: January 31, 2016, 01:34:03 PM »
Jim   .... Your just like the rest of us, in that we tend to notice telephones in movies and TV ads immediately, and approve or disapprove of the prop, based on whether or not it's correct for that era and location.   The 2 prominent collectors clubs here in North America, and based in the U.S.A., periodically get inquiries from movie companies, asking which telephones are accurate for a particular time period in a specific part of the country.     But not all movie production companies are that thorough, probably because they think the average audience member isn't that observant, or wouldn't know the difference between a telephone which is accurate and one which isn't.

Enjoy the evening.

Jeff Lamb

Online twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
« Reply #648 on: January 31, 2016, 03:33:35 PM »
Indeed US telephones were not used in the UK outside of US army bases in the 60s, the dominance of GPO phones was such that there would have been a 706 or similar in Morse's office of that era, so that 500 is most definitely out of place...

I haven't watched much of Endeavour, not really my sort of thing, but there have been the odd instance where I've seen very out-of-place things in the show when I have seen it, usually due to poor directorship and not realising that a satellite dish or modern high-pressure sodium streetlight was in shot that really should not have been there... ;D

Now, Inspector George Gently on the other hand, a nitpickers paradise, also set in the 60s/70s, satellite dishes, TV aerials, modern lights, modern alarm boxes, and in one episode, I even spotted a Technicolor TG582n ADSL modem-router!!! Made me want to slap the director of that show with a wet fish!! ::)

At least they did okay with the telephones, even if a two-tone green 746 had a massive hole in it from being dropped... :o

Offline 19and41

« Reply #649 on: January 31, 2016, 04:47:52 PM »
The production companies that generate material for the "History" channel are typically horrible in their selection of props or CGI material.  Sometimes I think that Downton Abbey has sapped the strength of British period program production.  It looks like all the others have suffered.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline compubit

« Reply #650 on: January 31, 2016, 08:47:54 PM »

I have also seen an american car insurance ad (State Farm?) that uses an ericcson dial desk phone used as a wall phone.

Yup, it's State Farm, and yes, I cringe every time I see it.

I keep an eye out when I watch, but only look for something totally out of place...

I'm enjoying Endeavour - only 2 episodes in, and haven't noticed much "out of place" (lights, satellite, etc.) - yet...  They seem do do a decent job with the cars, though the first episode had a lot more "wide shots" of vehicles in Cambridge - second episode so far is just a couple tighter shots just of the main cars...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Offline APS221

« Reply #651 on: February 04, 2016, 03:17:31 AM »
Yup, it's State Farm, and yes, I cringe every time I see it.

"Six callers ahead of us, Jimmy!"

Offline andre_janew

« Reply #652 on: February 04, 2016, 07:18:25 PM »
I've seen that ad and I've always thought the wall phone looked a bit odd.  Now I know it looks odd on the wall because it isn't supposed to be on the wall!

Offline 19and41

« Reply #653 on: February 04, 2016, 07:26:02 PM »
Do any of you folks remember that lady in her younger days on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In?  She was the girl who would tap dance in honor of her pres-e-dent, Richard Milhous Nixon.   ;D
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline JimH

« Reply #654 on: February 09, 2016, 12:09:19 PM »
I was channel surfing the other night and saw a scene from "Breakfast at Tiffany's", where Audrey Hepburn's character is in George Peppard's apartment, and he has what looks like a D1 or 202 that is all decked out in gold.  The only things is, that the handset does not look like a regular F1, possibly another make.

Here's a screenshot:
Jim H.

Online rdelius

« Reply #655 on: February 09, 2016, 12:57:51 PM »
Kellogg handset., Western base.Most of the old fancy metal covers I have seen were on kellogg sets

Offline JimH

« Reply #656 on: February 09, 2016, 07:17:10 PM »
Thanks for identifying the handset as Kellogg.  I didn't realize it was probably a cover.  I just thought the prop department went overboard.

Jim
Jim H.

Offline Jim S.

« Reply #657 on: February 24, 2016, 10:49:23 PM »
I was flipping thru channels and watched part of Highlander (movie). In the detectives office was a black 500 with operator  written in a straight line. It was shortly after the sword scene in the "Madison Square Garden" parking garage. The forensic gal was trying to see the file regarding the fight.
I never tried to see a screen shot to compare with an early dial. It looked a bit off, but that could be because it was straight.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Offline 19and41

« Reply #658 on: April 12, 2016, 02:41:50 PM »
Maybe this would be classed as "Old Phone Companies In Movies And TV".  I remember these programs when I was little and the networks could still be relied upon to supply a few mental vitamins along with the other dramatic and violent fare.  I'd imagine these set a few kids on a scientific career path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBwZ6UT0mMI&list=PL_sjhEFSOGfBcUPywiy5l9jze20wxr7HQ
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline jsowers

« Reply #659 on: April 12, 2016, 04:11:33 PM »
Maybe this would be classed as "Old Phone Companies In Movies And TV".  I remember these programs when I was little and the networks could still be relied upon to supply a few mental vitamins along with the other dramatic and violent fare.  I'd imagine these set a few kids on a scientific career path.

Those films were also shown often in school. Most kids who went to school in the 1960s and 70s will recall the utter relief seeing the projector being rolled into the room, the blinds closed and the lights turned off for movie time. Normally it was a Bell and Howell projector, although once they used the old green manual thread RCA with the separate speaker and showed a National Geographic film in French class in high school. I'll never forget discovering those old films actually had BASS when they played that theme song with the tympani...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp-ICI-9gXs

Also this particular Bell System film stars Eddie Albert, who ten years later would play a man who could never quite get the phone company to take the phone off the pole and into the house.  :)  Green Acres is one of my favorite TV shows.
Jonathan