Author Topic: The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation  (Read 161729 times)

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
Re: The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation
« Reply #765 on: November 09, 2017, 07:08:06 PM »
Working (binge watching) my way through "Supernatural," I got to Season 5 Episode 16 titled "The Dark Side of the Moon" but not one Pink Floyd song in the episode. Hard to explain the episode so I'll just say this scene took place in Heaven, Ash's Heaven, and as the two leading characters were about to leave Ash's Heaven to go to Joshua's Heaven, they passed this beige WE 3 slot rotary pay phone hanging on the wall by the door (Ash's Heaven is the road side bar in which he worked before finding his new residence in Heaven - you have to know the show or watch it from the beginning to under stand the plot in this episode).

Seems to be a complete, as built, payphone.
            John . . .

Offline Pourme

• Benny
« Reply #766 on: November 09, 2017, 07:23:09 PM »
OK...I haven't watched the series....Is the program speculating that there are pay phones in heaven, or just in the lobby?
The Internet is a telephone system that's gotten uppity

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #767 on: November 09, 2017, 08:16:00 PM »
This is a science fiction show that like Haven has a continuing ongoing plot under or behind the subject of each episode, which are different but related to the big, underlying plot. This was the 88th episode of the series so you have to watch it on Netflix to catch up. It's a show based on the two guys who fight demons with the help of a book they got from their father and a few angels. It gets more interesting with each new episode.

I'll just say this is the first episode that takes place in heaven. Up until now, everything has taken place on earth, all over the states. It starts off with the two leading characters being killed and ending up in heaven. The writers portray heaven as not one place but a unique place for each person in heaven. These places are the place on earth which each person liked best.

In this scene, Ash was a character who lived in a roadhouse bar so when he died, his heaven turned out to be that bar with all of his high tech toys but now heaven level toys, tracking angels for example.

That roundhouse bar must have had that phone. The other episodes all used cell phones. That's why that phone caught my eye. Such a large item right between two characters. Couldn't miss it.

And at the end, the two leading characters get sent back to earth to continue the fight.
            John . . .

Offline AE_Collector

• Global Moderator
  • AE 2 - AECo's 1st Self Contained Desk Phone 1925
« Reply #768 on: November 09, 2017, 11:09:00 PM »
Working (binge watching) my way through "Supernatural,"

How are you enjoying the scenery in and around Vancouver?

Almost for certain that is a phone from my friend Grants collection.

Terry

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #769 on: November 10, 2017, 01:17:28 AM »
Scenery is great. Most of the stuff Netflix makes is done in Canada and the creative people are based in Vancouver. Lost Girl was shot up there also, I think.

That very well could be Grant's in that it was filmed in 2009, that episode.
            John . . .

Offline AE_Collector

• Global Moderator
« Reply #770 on: November 10, 2017, 10:32:44 AM »
Whenever I was visiting Grant there always seemed to be a truck from supernatural coming to pickup or return phone stuff. His family is carrying on running his business “Grants Telephone Classics” renting to the movie industry.

Terry

Offline Brinybay

« Reply #771 on: November 15, 2017, 11:16:53 AM »
Came across this capture of Burt Mustin.  Not sure what movie or show this was, but he appeared in a lot of them.  The phone looks like a WE Hotel phone.  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0615993/
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Rowe

Offline jsowers

« Reply #772 on: November 15, 2017, 11:54:05 AM »
That's from Leave it to Beaver, where Burt Mustin played Gus the Fireman.

The manual version of that phone was probably used in some hotels, but the rotary version would be found more in homes, businesses and apartments in cities where rotary dial service came fairly early, like in the 1930s and 40s. Hotels mostly had switchboards and manual phones installed until the late 1950s and early 60s.
Jonathan

Offline 19and41

« Reply #773 on: November 15, 2017, 12:54:19 PM »
Did you know that Mustin was one of Americas' first radio personalities, hosting a program on KDKA in 1921?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0615993/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Brinybay

« Reply #774 on: November 17, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »
That's from Leave it to Beaver, where Burt Mustin played Gus the Fireman.

The manual version of that phone was probably used in some hotels, but the rotary version would be found more in homes, businesses and apartments in cities where rotary dial service came fairly early, like in the 1930s and 40s. Hotels mostly had switchboards and manual phones installed until the late 1950s and early 60s.

I learn something every time I come here!  I guess then I don't have any "hotel" phones in my collection, they both have dials, albeit one has an AE dial I've been meaning to replace.  I'll call them 553A's then.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Rowe

Offline HarrySmith

• 1956 Rose Beige 500
« Reply #775 on: November 17, 2017, 01:57:26 PM »
Most people selling on ebay tend to call all maual phones either hotel phones or operator phones. Thay have no idea there was a time in our telephone history when nobody had a dial on thier phone!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Offline AE_Collector

• Global Moderator
« Reply #776 on: November 24, 2017, 12:53:04 AM »
This weeks version of “the Goldbergs” shows Murray beside a 1980’s (something!) Electronic Key Phone but...it appears to be a CORDLESS! Oops.....

Terry

Offline andre_janew

« Reply #777 on: November 27, 2017, 05:21:30 PM »
I don't think it is even hooked up, but I suppose through the magic of Hollywood, it works anyway!