Author Topic: New member here. Need help with ITT Kellogg 554  (Read 2811 times)

Offline hudsoncustom

New member here. Need help with ITT Kellogg 554
« on: January 22, 2011, 12:30:14 PM »
Good morning!

I'm glad I found this forum, and hope some of you can help me.

My name is Keith, and I picked up a black ITT Kellogg 554 from a local antique store here recently, and hope to install it in my home.

I've been reviewing the forum here for a day or so, and doing some searches on how to wire these phones, but I figure my best shot at getting it right is to add some photos.

Here's the phone with the cover off:

The issue I am having with the phone is that it won't ring.  I get a dial tone just fine, and I can make a call on it just fine, but the phone won't ring correctly.  

When I call the line, the phone ringer will make a single "ding" that is very faint.  I'm wondering if the ringer is not hooked up correctly?

Here's how the phone is currently wired:

Here's the ringer (it looks a bit different than the one's I've seen in photos here) it is marked 10-50-113:

I also note that the ringer is wired with the red wire to the L2 terminal, and the black wire connects to a P8292ZN69 capacitor (400 VDCW .35 MFD whatever those mean) which I belive the frame is screwed down to the K terminal (?), with the black wire out of the capacitor to the G or L1 terminal.

I haven't messed with the ringer or removed the magnets or coil, and none of the screw heads on the ringer appear to have been mangled with a screwdriver.

Can you guys give me any idea if the phone is wired correctly, and what I need to go to get this beauty to ring?

Thanks,
Keith Brown

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:35:56 PM by hudsoncustom »

Offline wds

Re: New member here. Need help with ITT Kellogg 554
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:31:36 PM »
It's a frequency ringer.  Just replace it with a SL ringer and your good to go.
Dave

Offline hudsoncustom

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:43:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply wds2185. 

I'll admit, I don't know anything about these phones or types of ringers.

Where would one pick up an SL ringer?

Offline wds

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »
Personally, I would buy a Western Electric 500 and use that ringer.  You can buy 500's all day long on Ebay for $5.  Just make sure you get one that rings, then you have a bunch of parts to use for future acquisitions.  I recently bought a Kellogg DK500 (banjo) that the seller swore would ring.  When I got it, of course it had a 66hz ringer which means it probably hasn't rung since it came off the factory floor.  A simple switch with an older 500 and now I have a great phone on display that works. 
Dave

Offline Dennis Markham

• VintageRotaryPhones.com
  • Administrator
    • VintageRotaryPhones.com
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 12:57:19 PM »
Welcome Keith.

The "frequency ringer" was made to be used on party lines.  It's not going to work on today's line.  In order it to work it has to be a "straight line" ringer or one about 20Hz.

The first place I always send people is to Steve Hilsz out in Az.  He has lot of parts and is very friendly and very reasonable.  You can shoot him an e-mail at jydsk@tds.net.  Tell him we sent you.  You want a C4A ringer for your Model 554.  The same ringer will fit into that model of Kellogg, Stromberg Carlson, Western Electric, IT&T........

When you get it, connect your wires according to this diagram:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2767.0

Yours currently looks close but you can get rid of that big capacitor, and that jumper that appears to be going from the G terminal to L1.

Note the terminal designations on the side of your network.  They should match the diagram I referenced above.

~Dennis

Offline hudsoncustom

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 01:01:51 PM »
Dave and Dennis, thanks so much for the quick reply.

I'll shoot Steve an email today.  I spent about 3 hours last night trying to get the phone to ring, and I got my answer here in about 15 minutes! ha ha!

Offline wds

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 01:05:25 PM »
Here's a picture of my frequency ringer and the finished and polished DK500.  Good luck with your project!
Dave

Phoniac

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 01:42:49 PM »
hudsoncustom, If'en you still need a ringer I have a C4A I'll  just send ya. Just PM me your address.

Offline hudsoncustom

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »
Thanks to everyone who responded, and thanks especially to Phoniac who sent me the ringer I needed.

I've got the phone up and working, and it sounds perfect!

Now to look for another...ha ha!