Author Topic: Not so “RARE” phones, phony items and other such fakery on eBay  (Read 16393 times)

Offline Scotophor

• Neo-Luddite
  • I have telephonesis!
Re: Not so “RARE” phones, phony items and other such fakery on eBay
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2014, 02:20:56 AM »
Seller just listed this as a "Westrn Electric Mushroom Rotary Telephone 500 C/D" in a 7 day auction but I don't see the light. Probably an honest mistake by someone who doesn't sell a lot of phones.

Someone (or several someones) are making the same IMO dishonest mistake over and over, as a form of keyword spamming to get more views. Try these searches:
In all categories: mushroom (phone, telephone)
In Collectibles > Radio, Phonograph, TV, Phone > Telephones: mushroom

You may find several phones that are not even 500s, let alone with a dial light. I have seen D1 mounts, 2500s, wall phones, a candlestick... even one touch-tone phone that happened to be a mushroom-gray COLOR (but that's not what the title was referring to).

I've seen the same type of thing in other categories that I collect too. Once a lazy or dishonest seller gets it in their head that using a certain keyword equals higher prices, they will use that keyword for every sale of something that is even the most remotely related. For another example from Telephones, search "Monophone" and see how many non-Monophones come up.

Still no "mushroom"
No "e" in Western Electric either. Never a good thing to squander in a listing...the "Western Electric" name.

Sellers misspelling (or leaving out) the most important keyword in their title, loading the title with cryptic abbreviations or words nobody searches by (rare, look, LQQK, unique, etc.) always make me laugh and shake my head.
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

Offline HarrySmith

• 1956 Rose Beige 500
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2014, 08:03:08 AM »
To be fair, not all sellers are being intentionally dishonest. Some are just uninformed and/or too lazy to research what they are selling. I once contacted a seller who was offering a  plain old 500 and listing it as a mushroom. I told him about the dial light & hood. He replied he did not know anything about phones and stated he saw an auction that resembled his phone. He sent me the auction number which was a mushroom. I indicated the light hood to him. He apologized and changed his listing.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Online TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2014, 08:52:55 AM »
To be fair, not all sellers are being intentionally dishonest.

That is so true, Harry. I know we have a little fun with some sellers at their expense due to what they post out of lack of knowledge, but it is in fun in most cases. Yes, once and a while there is true dishonesty in one form or another, but in most cases it is not intentional and we post those cases as both a bit of a laugh and more for the educational purpose of pointing out an error, sometimes subtle except to the pro-phone guy, that shows up in an eBay listing. Good for you for educating that 500 seller.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:37:00 AM by TelePlay »
            John . . .

Offline twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2014, 07:05:20 AM »
Sellers misspelling (or leaving out) the most important keyword in their title, loading the title with cryptic abbreviations or words nobody searches by (rare, look, LQQK, unique, etc.) always make me laugh and shake my head.

The "Look" one that bugs me the most is "L@@K", cos to me that says LATATK, not "Look", but people like to make themselves appear to be numpties, it's best to just leave them be and have them lose a whole boatload of money on something they put "L@@K" on... :P

Online TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2014, 08:30:40 AM »
Couldn't figure out which of several topics this "Vintage Rotary Wooden Telephone w/ Ringer Box" would be the best place to post this so it's here.

Seller says it's Vintage Wooden Telephone w/ Antique Ringer Box and bells, I picked this rotary phone up at an Estate Sale. It needs repair of the wall cord. I have had it plugged in and it rang, but the static is very bad due to the damage of the plug. It is beautiful craftsmanship and worth repairing for someone who has the perfect place for this phone. It would be great in a cabin or in your home. We have enjoyed it for years as a work of art, but it can be repaired and used as a land line if you wish. I have included pictures of inside the box. You can see that someone updated the wiring. The crank is for looks only.

BIN for only $78.99 with Free Shipping, if anyone is interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351019171899
            John . . .

Online rdelius

« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2014, 10:18:20 AM »
Kellogg box, AE ringer,Norweigen handset, Belgium cradle,WE dial mount -a good one, TAP dial
Smells Phoneco

Online TelePlay

• Global Moderator
  • A Ringy-Dingy Thingy
    • . . . been good so far
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2014, 01:14:59 AM »
The "Look" one that bugs me the most is "L@@K", cos to me that says LATATK, not "Look", but people like to make themselves appear to be numpties, it's best to just leave them be and have them lose a whole boatload of money on something they put "L@@K" on... :P

Hey, twocv . . .   L@@K at this!

An un-restored hard plastic sold for $517 (as in Auction Contest 111) and this restored, matching date 1958 SP pink Mushroom is but $400 BIN plus $15 for shipping.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:16:33 AM by TelePlay »
            John . . .

Offline twocvbloke

• W.E. 500 DM
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2014, 01:31:49 AM »
See? if that sells for $400, then they've lost $117 right there.... ;D

Offline tallguy58

« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2014, 03:24:48 PM »
Sold.

Too late everyone.