News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Amp Head Cap to Modular

Started by Doug Rose, April 18, 2011, 06:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I was looking for my variable 24V power supply to work on my HC Slave Clock and I found one of the Amp caps I was talking about in a past post. This clips on the amp and brings out six modular connections. These were gold when installing a new phone system on a old 1A2. You could use the same cable. Yeah...it was just a "few" years ago.....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

We referred to them here as "Amp Adapters". This one is a little unusual in that it has 4 pair outputs. Most that I've seen were 2 or 3 pairs in the modular jack and usually only one modular jack in each rather than a bunch of them.

Terry

Sargeguy

I think these are still available from Suttle in a variety of configurations.  It would be nice if they made a female version.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

GG

These are available in a wide range of different configurations.

I'm going to guess that the ones with the 8-pin jacks were intended for AT&T Merlin phones, which used 8-pin plugs.  An 8-pin jack should not be used for a regular modular plug because the plug won't seat correctly in the larger jack opening, and the phone may not work at all or may go dead intermittently.

However we had 4-pin and 6-pin versions of these, and a regular mod plug will plug into either without trouble.

If there are males, there are almost certainly also females.  Frankly I don't track "gender" all that well because the appearance of Amphenol connectors is a dyslexic problem (it's hard to tell the difference between them without thinking it through), so I can't say with certainty that I remember having used a female-to-modular device.  (It would have been helpful if they were uniformly color coded per a standard that was enforced industry-wide: pink for female and light blue for male would have been obvious.)

AE_Collector

These were pretty much exclusivly used to convert amphenol ended cables to modular jacks when removing key sets and installing newer electronic key sets. Since all manufacturers key sets (all that I have ever seen) had male amphenol cords, these amp adapters needed to have male amphenols. Not that there might not have been a female version but the scales are tipped considerably to the majority of these being male amphenols.

There were things like "Y" cords and bridging adapters that could easily accomplish reversing the gender though.

Terry

Stockdale

We used a lot of these about 20 years ago.  Most of what we used were the 6 pin with 8 out version.  Could set 8 SL TT phones right off of the cable with just some long drop cords.  Didn't have to run new wire back to the MDC.  Were a real work saver.  Occasionally we have used the 4, 6, & 8 pin plugged directly in to the side of a 66 block.  Makes a nice neat installation, depending on what your doing.  And yes they are still available if needed, although I have never seen a "female" version.  One thing to remember, if you plug a 4 or 6 pin modular plug into an 8 pin jack, you run the risk of mashing the outside pins of the jack down permanently, and they may not work when/if you need to use them as an 8 pin!!!  Lots of trouble shooting to learn this.... :o
Cat6 has pretty much made them obsolete around here.