"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Am I Seeing Things?

Started by LarryInMichigan, August 16, 2011, 07:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stromberg-carlson-Antique-telephone-bakelight-/190565848616

In the ebay listing, the seller states: "this Phone is in very nice condition! . The cords are still on it everything seems to be nice. thier are a few cracks in this one  nothing really bad. cant really take pictures of them they dont show up in pictures."

Am I seeing a gaping hole which isn't there?

Larry

AE_Collector

Could it just be sticker residue that also looks as though it could be a big hole in the bakelite?

Terry

Sargeguy

What?  That's not factory???
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rdelius

If it is cheap enough, that is a good handset to find with an intact transmitter ring.The seller must be blind to not see the hole
Robby

wds

I've been watching that one and thinking about making an offer, until you pointed out the hole.  I contacted the seller and this is what he said -

"its a shiney chrome sticker ! lol"

Dave

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: wds on August 17, 2011, 06:37:17 PM
I've been watching that one and thinking about making an offer, until you pointed out the hole.  I contacted the seller and this is what he said -

"its a shiney chrome sticker ! lol"

I'd be nice if he would provide another photo from a different angle, but I'm inclined to believe him. It looks like the top rear corner is curling up, and the shadow appears consistent with that.

Better yet, perhaps he could remove the sticker then provide a photo!

LarryInMichigan

I guess that I can see that there is a sticker, but it sure does look like a gaping hole under the sticker.  If not, it is quite an illusion.  At any rate, it cannot possibly be helping his sale.

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: AE_collector on August 16, 2011, 08:40:00 PM
Could it just be sticker residue that also looks as though it could be a big hole in the bakelite?

Terry

So if this were one of our auction contests, I would win???

Terry

GusHerb

It definitely looks like a sticker, but I wouldn't trust that vague picture to see if there were any other defects in that phone.
Jonathan