News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who Likes Old Clocks!!!

Started by Doug Rose, September 05, 2011, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I saw that yesterday when it was at $818.  I could kill myself for passing on the one at the flea market >:(

Larry

bingster

Yours is much better than that, Dan.  That one's missing all it's trim except for the two thin strips at the sides.
= DARRIN =

Dan

Wow I would love to trade it on an oxford gray mushroom or a blue 302 (or both!)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Yogisd1

This one is my favorite. I got it for Christmas years ago. Don't know who makes it, but it was made in '53.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Yogisd1 on January 16, 2013, 02:51:08 AM
This one is my favorite. I got it for Christmas years ago. Don't know who makes it, but it was made in '53.

That's a Jefferson Golden Hour clock, made by Jefferson Electric in Bellwood, IL (just west of Chicago).  This model was made from around 1949-1991.  Here is a web page with alot of information: link.

Although these clocks are not rare, they are in high demand, and working ones rarely sell for less than $60.

Larry

Yogisd1

Thanks for the info, I appreciate that. There is a lot of interesting info at that web site. Very good reference material there.

southernphoneman

i like old clocks. in the photos below are two antiques that are my parents  the first one is a porcelin clock from the early 20th century. this clock was my grandmothers and was passed on to my father. the second is a neat old wall clock that a chime on the hour and on the half hour. i will post another later.

southernphoneman

i posted a photo of this vintage mantle clock before but mistakenly deleted it. it was my granmothers and was made by general electric.it still works also :)

WesternElectricBen

Not me! Well, I like the ones from 50'-70's.

southernphoneman

this is not really a vintage clock but it is still cool. this clock has a swinging pendulum and it hangs in my living room.

dsk

Clocks are not my thing, but i Could not be anything but happy when I was asked if I wanted this BÜRK Clock. It was found when cleaning out at the school were I teach. The clock is the old master clock, and was also controlling the ringing for start and end of lessons. I'm not sure of the age but my guess will be about 50 years.

The suspension spring was defect, so I have got a replacement, not the right one, but it seems to work.
The original documentation claims an accuracy of +/- 0.7 sec pr day. I hope to I will be able to come close to that.

The mechanical clock has an electric rewind, this makes it having a mechanical backup of 12 hrs, and when power comes back it sends minute pulses accumulated to correct the electric slave clocks. Every pair minutes get a positive pulse, and every odd minute get a negative pulse.

And  :D my teenager son says it looks completely modern  ;D

dsk

Keith.p

I'm not a clock collector, but I do like clocks, I have mostly mantle clocks and some others e.g. Junghans, Cuckoo's and case clocks.
Basically pickup what I like and can afford and fix the basics.

A cheap smiths windup I got last week.

AE40FAN

Mid-Century Welby 8 day key wind up.  Absolutely stunning wall clock and It's going to look fantastic above my television...

Dixon Hall

Quote from: Bill on September 07, 2011, 11:04:07 AM
Old clocks? This one is a bit different. It is a long-case clock, made in the late 1700s in England. Believe it or not, my wife and I picked it out of snowbank in Nashua, New Hampshire, on a cold January midnight in about 1985, just a few hours before the trash truck would have taken it away. The owners - people we knew, as it turned out - bought it in an antique shop in London in the 1950s and brought it home. However, they were unable to keep it running, got disgusted, and tossed it. At the time, one of my friends was a skilled mechanical engineer who volunteered to look it over - and it has run ever since, chimes and all.

It needs some case work that I will probably never do. But it is fun!

Bill

Magnificent!

Dix

dsk

Quote from: dsk on April 18, 2013, 02:11:32 PM
Clocks are not my thing, but i Could not be anything but happy when I was asked if I wanted this BÜRK Clock. It was found when cleaning out at the school were I teach. The clock is the old master clock, and was also controlling the ringing for start and end of lessons. I'm not sure of the age but my guess will be about 50 years.

The suspension spring was defect, so I have got a replacement, not the right one, but it seems to work.
The original documentation claims an accuracy of +/- 0.7 sec pr day. I hope to I will be able to come close to that.

The mechanical clock has an electric rewind, this makes it having a mechanical backup of 12 hrs, and when power comes back it sends minute pulses accumulated to correct the electric slave clocks. Every pair minutes get a positive pulse, and every odd minute get a negative pulse.

And  :D my teenager son says it looks completely modern  ;D

dsk

3 weeks, and jut 4 sec wrong!   :D

dsk