Author Topic: It's a D something, but what?  (Read 2799 times)

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
    • . . . times keep changin'
It's a D something, but what?
« on: December 10, 2011, 08:06:41 PM »
I have this 102/202 deskset with an unusual, at least to me, marking on it. Anyone ever see a D=1 with the "=" crossing out something that looks like a "0" or a "5" or "6?" I can't quite make out was is under the "=", even under high magnification. Is this rare or if not, what was the purpose and what was the original marking?

Offline paul-f

• Old Telephones as Entertainment!
Re: It's a D something, but what?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 09:22:37 PM »
It appears to be a D6 that was changed to a D1 during refurb.

The Bell System was noted for recycling phones taken out of service.

The D6 was used in the 102 and 203 sets for 4-party line service, so it's reasonable that it was repurposed to a single line set.

IMHO, it's an interesting collectible.  It would also be interesting if it was still a D6.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE 500  Design_Line

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 11:11:36 PM »
Thanks for the info.

The interior is wired like a 102/202 with the exception of the dial which is a 6A3 dated 10-70. I don't know what a D6 would look like so to me this is a 102/202. The base does have a II 36 in red paint on the right side of photo 1.

This phone also has a newer coiled handset cord, a modern round grey line cord and an F1 handset with a newer transmitter element fitted with an adapter.

I think this phone was used as a movie/theater prop and was equipped with a RC cheater subset, third photo below. I want to use it for a theatrical play so pulled out the RC parts and will attach a 302 subset to it.

I guess the only thing of interest here is the D6 now D1 base. Won't do anything to the finish so it will stay as received.

Offline paul-f

• Old Telephones as Entertainment!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 01:19:35 AM »
Thanks for the info.

You're welcome.

I don't know what a D6 would look like ...

The following BSP shows wiring for several variations.  Compare the 201 and 203 with the components in your D1.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=4645&Itemid=2
Visit: paul-f.com         WE 500  Design_Line

Offline Sargeguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 09:07:02 AM »
I would switch the cord, that coiled cord just doesn't look right!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 10:54:51 AM »

Brown cloth or black rubber?

Offline Sargeguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »
Yes.

Seriously though, it doesn't matter.  I prefer black rubber with an F-1 and cloth with an E-1 but either are correct.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 10:13:38 AM »

How's this?

Offline HarrySmith

• 1937 302
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 10:39:38 AM »
Much better but I would change that dial card also ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 10:54:25 AM »
Much better but I would change that dial card also ;D

Yeah, I know, and I will. I just finished cleaning and rebuilding a 302 into a subset and mounting it to this desk set when the new handset cord came - great timing. And this is my first major project.

Now all I need is the 302 base cover from Ray and it will be ready for the stage. The interim number card will be a cheat sheet with the number to be called by the actor using the phone on stage. After the play, I will put in a proper number card, when I find them. They're here somewhere, if you know what I mean.  :-\

As for the finish, I didn't do anything to it at all. It came looking like that. Only need to replace the bottom felt.

Offline Babybearjs

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 11:06:31 PM »
Hey, what up with the "modernization" W.E. did'nt put its parts in there! wheres your subset??
John

Offline TelePlay

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 12:12:35 AM »
Hey, what up with the "modernization" W.E. didn't put its parts in there! wheres your subset??

Just finished hooking up the subset yesterday. It's a 302 base waiting for a cover from kleenax.

The 202 was acquired from a source that used it as a stage prop. I think they used one of those small external ringers stuck under a table to get the ring and that's why they put that RC circuit in the base. The seller offered an external ringer for $25 but I turned that down. It's also a #6 dial but it works great and it will be used on stage, with a subset, so I'm not changing out the dial right away. I doubt anyone in the play will have ever seen, much less used a 202 with a subset. It will be a treat for some to use that phone.

When I fired it up last night, I was really surprised at the quality of sound from that F1 handset combined with the matching dates 1947 302 base.

The shell had a bad 3 inch long corner crack and was missing an ear but the base was in great shape. It also had several live bugs in it when I first popped the shell off of the base. I thanked the seller for the bugged phone but would have preferred to have found a phone with vintage electrical bugs rather than live, moving bugs. They got back to me saying the phone sat in a shed used for making concrete statues for years without being used. I guess that's where the white spider, unknown larvae and mean brown bug with pinchers came from.

It's a semi-restoration project right now just getting it back to a subset but not intended for a display case. It may some day but right now, it's due to be on stage the first week of February for 3 weeks. Maybe after that . . .

One unusual thing about the base is that is was originally stamped D-6 but the 6 was stamped out and a 1 was added. Someone said it probably was a field conversion. That makes the base an interesting piece, a collectable, maybe . . .

Once I get the cover, I'll take the after photos and post them here.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:15:04 AM by TelePlay »