News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring a WECo 40AL Candlestick

Started by cihensley@aol.com, January 09, 2012, 05:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cihensley@aol.com

This candlestick was sort of a basket case when I acquired it. After removing the rust with Evapo-rust I found that rust had eaten two holes in the base plate. I patched these with JB Weld. Dennis Hallworth (decins) re-covered the base plate and re-plated the transmitter bolt. One or the pictures shows a period address/telephone number hanger that I purchased from Doug Pav (Wallphone).

Chuck

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

Very nice.  What did you use to paint it with?
Dave

Dennis Markham

zingaro

I too would like to know what your 40 al was painted with?
I see theres a new black.. SATIN.. that wouldnt be quite as shiny as gloss black.
i think gloss black is too new looking?
Please comment??
thanks...z

And correct me if im wrong the diff between the 20 and the 40 was brass vs steel?
zingarofunkart
atca# 1463

cihensley@aol.com

Airbrushed with RustOleum gloss black reduced 50% with naphtha.

Chuck

Sargeguy

Nice job.  Is the base steel or brass?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

cihensley@aol.com

Steel or brass? I don't really remember, but I think steel.

Chuck

Sargeguy

QuoteI too would like to know what your 40 al was painted with?
I see theres a new black.. SATIN.. that wouldnt be quite as shiny as gloss black.
i think gloss black is too new looking?
Please comment??
thanks...z

And correct me if im wrong the diff between the 20 and the 40 was brass vs steel?

I think Chuck's shade of black looks spot on for a black phone.  Not too shiny. 

40ALs had steel bases.  They were plated in a "Bower-Barf" process which gave them a grayish-green finish.  The perch and hook were (usually/sometimes/rarely) painted in a matching shade.  I think the transmitter cups and faceplates were black (although I am not sure).  40ALs were often painted black over the original Bower-Barff finish and re-used.  Sometimes you find steel bases on phones that are not 40ALs due to Bell System "re-purposing" of old parts. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

zingaro

My 40 has steel base and stem the perch on out is brass and it did come in the tone you described. I was assuming that was the difference between the 20/40 was the base....nice blurb on the transmitters sarge
zingarofunkart
atca# 1463