News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

All matching numbers 55/500 arrived today. What a letdown.

Started by Dan/Panther, February 13, 2009, 12:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

I have one of those signal corp sets also, although not nearly as old or as pretty as yours.

Mine was a local purchase, and in fact one of my first telephones-it was number 4 or 5, if I correctly recall, and I paid the princely sum of $5 for it(came across the sticker that was on it the other day).

I've had it for four years, but it didn't dawn on me until I got into 500 sets in a big way last summer that there was anything unusual about it.

bingster

Do all the parts date to 1955, or is the dial from 1951/52/53ish?  If the dial was from the Korean war era, that might explain thin or cheap chrome plating.  Car bumpers and chromed whatnots from that era are total garbage because of their bad chrome.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Maybe this phone was owned by a phone pfreak who cleaned it up, hence the pristine condition, but they did nothing for the fingerstop.  Maybe.

It's a nice phone, and I would think, but what do I know, that with the military history connection you would have a phone worth a tad more than the average 1955 500.

Shovelhead

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 13, 2009, 02:35:21 PM
Yes it came from Alamagordo Why ? ::)

Funny you should mention that. In 1980 my Grandfather was coming to California for his yearly visit, when he had a Heart attack in Roswell New Mexico.
So I took a bus to Rosewell to drive his car to California. On the way I stopped at White Sands Proving Grounds to look at the Sand. I took a tupperware container and crawled through the fence and scooped up a bunch of the sand. I later found it's a federal offense to take the sand, and a hefty fine.
I still gave the container of sand. we enjoy sitting in the dark and watching it glow....
D/
The white sand isn't a radioactivity risk. the green, fused lumps of sand, called Trinitite are. That was formed as sand at Trinity was sucked up into the mushroom cloud and fused with byproducts of the explosion and vaporized steel from the bomb and the tower.

That's why when we lived in Socorro in the 80's our electric bill was so low, we never turned on the lights at night ;D

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

When I sppoke to Ricahrd Marsh the other day, i asked him whiuch phone in his opinion was the more desirable of the two, he said without doubt, the signal corp is the better by far of the two type phones and should always bring a premium  price. He went on to say they were built to a higher quality standard, and were tropicalized to boot. Just an all around better quality built phone.
That brightened my day for sure.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

I don't know if my North Electric Galion Signal Corp is tropicalized like the WE500SC but it seems to get along with the Trans-Oceanic just fine. :)

benhutcherson

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 16, 2009, 12:41:33 AM
When I sppoke to Ricahrd Marsh the other day, i asked him whiuch phone in his opinion was the more desirable of the two, he said without doubt, the signal corp is the better by far of the two type phones and should always bring a premium  price. He went on to say they were built to a higher quality standard, and were tropicalized to boot. Just an all around better quality built phone.
That brightened my day for sure.

D/P

I find the part about higher quality interesting-it's certainly hard to imagine more quality being built into a WE phone than is already there. I don't recall noticing anything out of the ordinary in mine-it looks like just a bog standard 500 C/D aside from the markings.

I certainly respect his knowledge, though, so I'll have to pull mine apart and give it a thorough examination.