Author Topic: Best Oil/Lubricant? for dial.  (Read 11216 times)

Offline Contempra

Re: Best Oil/Lubricant? for dial.
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2017, 08:18:54 AM »
don't forget, the watchmakers recommend oiling watches and mechanical clocks every 3 to 5 years. Which means that we will oil the dials of our phones in the same period . I use clock oil because it is more resistant than the simple oil for watches. I have always done this for many years without ever having problems. I have already tried watch oil, it lasts much less and dries faster than clock oil. so, I prefer clock oil. after 5 or 6 years and even a little longer, I clean and relubricate the dial and normally, even if I clean, there is no dirt, but I still clean in case ..
Denis

Offline AL_as_needed

• '41 WE 302
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2017, 06:47:31 AM »
To add my two cents:

I have used something similar to what Christian uses, only under a different name. Made by CK, "Crow Bar"' is also a solvent free lubricant that leaves a smooth film where applied. Unlike other aerosol spray oils, this one foams a bit on contact and clings very well even upside down. Only down side is it tends to be a bit messy to apply right from the can, so I spray into a small plastic cup and use a Q-tip to dab it where i want it. Both this product and 3 in 1 have given me good results. Some phones are on year four and have yet to need re-oiling.
TWinbrook7

Offline MaximRecoil

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2018, 11:34:16 AM »
Dennis, I picked up some silicone spray and used it on a AE 24 dial. at first, I thought it did'nt work because the unit was still sticky. then about 10 minutes later, the dial started working fine... is silicone spay good to use, or is watch oil better? I normally have used WD-40 for everything and this is the first time I used silicone. what doe the "experts" recommend??  John

In my opinion, silicone spray is ideal for lubricating a rotary dial, as long as it's the good stuff, i.e., "3M 08897 Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type)". There may be other brands that are fine too, but I know that 3M's stuff is spectacular. The carrier fluid will dry on its own eventually, or, as per the instructions on the can, you can wipe it off with a dry cloth. The silicone is left behind and it adheres aggressively to pretty much anything, providing lubrication that lasts a very long time. It's best to clean the mechanism first with electrical contact cleaner though and let it dry. Also, keep the silicone spray away from the leaf switch contacts. It might not prevent them from working, but it certainly won't help them, because silicone isn't a conductor.

Compared to oil, silicone is slicker, adheres far better/longer, and is "dry", so it doesn't catch dust/dirt. I used it on a 9C dial recently (after cleaning with contact cleaner and a toothpick to get the grime out of the gear teeth; I didn't disassemble the mechanism) and the dial is significantly smoother and quieter now, and still works perfectly. I've attached a before and after recording of the sound of the dial.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:38:36 AM by MaximRecoil »